Author Topic: Best Rust Protection for the Bore?  (Read 14724 times)

Kaintuckkee

Best Rust Protection for the Bore?
« on: July 21, 2011, 02:08:42 PM »
Whats the best oil for rust prevention in the bore,I clean with cold water only and no soap and then use WD40 after drying the bore with patches but dont know if one can trust the WD40 to prevent rust over time,I have used CLP and Rem oil but I dont like the teflon in them for bore usage,any suggestions?

William Worth

Re: Best Rust Protection for the Bore?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 02:45:46 PM »
I vote for ..."Eezox".

Like you, I use ambiant temperature tap water and WD-40 and Rem-Oil as part of the cleaning/drying procedure.  Those and shop air.

Offline wmrike

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 03:52:11 PM »
I had purchased a tub can of red lithium-based grease from NAPA, waterproof and all, for something or other.  Turns outs I had better greases for the purpose, but along the way I found that the red grease does an excellent job of rust protection.  Now I coat a patch or segment of paper towel, swab it through the bore a couple times to leave a thin film, and that's it.  Ditto the barrel and lock.

I really need to put together some bright steel strips and test it against RIG and the others.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 04:06:48 PM »
This is an ongoing battle, and it only serves to cause more confusion, I know it's confused me.

For years, since about the mid 1970's i always cleaned my rifle with the hottest tap water I could stand to put my hands in with dishwasher detergent, Then rinse with clean hot water, Then ran several dry patches till the patches came out dry and clean, Then I oiled with rem oil. In all that time never, never ever, Repeat never had a speck of rust develop in any of my rifles. If it has been sitting on the wall for several months i would probably run an oil patch down the bore and wipe and oil the outside of the barrel to remove the dust. But no rust, and no gunk in the bore either.

Now after reading all the alternative solutions to rust prevention and new formulas from kitchen products to High tech lubes. I am coming to the conclusion that do what works for you. If you have been doing something that prevents rust in your rifle, then keep doing it, why would you want to reinvent the wheel.

I recently read a thread here very well produced with illustrations and all, evaluating several after cleaning oils. I tried Ballistol one of the highly recommended products and have seen absolutely no difference from my hot water, dishwash, and dry and rem oil method that I have been using for more that 35 years. 

Cold water will disolve BP residue, But hot water does it faster and I believe cleaner. The flash rust that people refference only happens if you leave the bore damp. If you don't leave it damp, no flash rust. I goes away with the oil swab. I think the hot water wash actualy aids in drying the barrel and removing any water that get trapped in the  rifleing grooves. I truly believe its not what you clean with as much as how thourough and meticulous you are when you clean and oil. WD-40 is made to remove water but it leaves a residue that can cause gunk.

I yield my soapbox, thank you.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 04:37:54 PM »
Since 1974-5 I have used very hot kitchen tap water. Swab until patches are clean. (Proper size ram rod with patch) Then pipe cleaner in touch hole to check for no powder residue. Complete the job with WW II military, 2oz can, gun oil.  Recovered from a Des Moines Iowa guns in the 1970's. Only 3 more to clean. I almost forgot at the finish I have a group tightener "Bud". Its HOT here in Texas. Turkeyfooter.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 06:49:26 PM »
I clean with room temp water and a drop of Dawn detergent.  The barrel is swabbed dry, a shot of WD40 then a couple more dry patches to remove the WD40.  Barricade is the final step.   A patch is sprayed with Barricade and the bore is well swabbed.  Rust protection is 100%.  I have, in the past, used any of the better quality gun oils for rust protection and have no complaints with their performance.  Barricade is simply a little more convenient plus it dries to a thin film so there is nothing that absolutely has to be wiped out prior to shooting.  Nevertheless,  I still run a patch or two down the bore prior to shooting. 

I feel too much attention is allotted  to the search for a rust protectant.  Most any good oil (even 3 in One oil) will do just fine and I've used them all at one time or another.  If you are avoiding rust with what you use then there's no reason to continue looking.  Success is still success.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

BrownBear

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 06:58:29 PM »
I vote for ..."Eezox".

I'm sure it depends on local conditions, and the answer will vary accordingly.  In our high-humidity salt air Eezox is about the most reliable for long-term storage.  WD-40 has resulted in lots of gun damage for guys who don't stay right on top of it and re-apply several times a year.

northmn

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 07:27:32 PM »
I find the best rust protection is tied in to cleaning, but that the bore has to be dried thoroughly before the oils work the best if water is used.  I always find that it is best to check the bore out at least by the next day after cleaning to amke sure there is no rust.  It seems like after the second swabbing with an oily patch, the problem is mostly handled. 

DP

Charlie

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 09:40:25 PM »
I think the key is getting the barrel DRY after cleaning,I use an alcohol wipe after cleaning then as many dry patches as it takes to get everything DRY.I use Ballistol as a gun oil but any good quality gun oil should do the job If you are not going to shoot it again for a while you should run another oily patch down after a week or so just to make sure all is well.Storing the rifle horizontal helps IMHO.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:21:01 PM by Daryl »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Harnic

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 02:14:53 AM »
I have used nothing but WD40 in my barrel & even after 6 months untouched, hanging on my office wall while I recovered this year, there was no rust on or in it.  Works well for me in our relatively dry climate & it's by far the best way I've found to get all the water out of the bore after cleaning.  After cleaning & oiling, I spray a bunch of WD40 down the bore, then leave the barrel standing muzzle down over night.  A quick wipe in the morning with aWD40 dampened patch & it's good to go.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:18:04 AM by Harnic »

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 02:17:22 AM »
Ditto, Harry.

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 02:23:55 AM »
ZB&L - looks best to me from the tests.  I know they can't try everything but Hoppe's &9 Plus and WD40 might have been nice.

Harnic

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 04:50:07 AM »
Those are my best choices too Daryl, Hoppe's #9+ patch lube & WD40 to protect everything.  It's doing a fine job for me.

Online Don Steele

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 12:57:35 PM »
Ballistol...
All ya need.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 05:03:06 AM »
I've had only one experience with Ballistol, and that was enough for me.  After shooting and then cleaning my Jaeger .60 cal at Moose Camp, and having just been given a pop bottle full of Ballistol, I swabbed the bore and the outside of the barrel and lock with the brown funny smelling stuff.  I hung the rifle in the hooks at the top of my tipi liner like I always do, and went to bed that evening. In the morning the sharp edges of the rust blued barrel, where there was a little wear, and much of the lock, were rusty!  I was alarmed, as this rifle has never seen rust - ever - and I swabbed the bore with a clean dry patch.  MORE &%-$ RUST!!  Ballistol...no thanks!!!!
WD 40 for me, and the guns I love.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 07:24:16 PM by Daryl »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

54Bucks

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 04:30:59 PM »
 This actually is an impossible question to answer. There's simply too many variables in cleaning procedures and different environments to cover. After a thorough cleaning /drying, I use Barricade as a long term bore protector or WD40 for short term.
  I think a lot or rust problems come from condensation somewhere during the cleaning process. Whether it's a warm/hot barrel in a cool environment, or a cool/cold barrel in a warm/hot environment. Just a little condensation present in a bare bore will give a little rust a chance to form before any type of protectant oil is applied.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 05:46:07 PM »
just been given a pop bottle full of Ballistol, I swabbed the bore and the outside of the barrel and lock with the brown funny smelling stuff. !!  Ballistol...no thanks!!!!
WD 40 for me, and the guns I love.

I'm not convinced about Ballistol, the jury is still way out in my court. But Taylor (to be fair) are you sure you had Ballistol? I've got a pretty fresh can and to me it's about the color of Sourwood Honey, kind of a light/pale yellow not brown, but definitly funny smelling stuff!

catman

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 06:33:51 AM »
Best I've found

straightshooter1

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 05:54:55 AM »
RIG (rust inhibiting grease) in generous amounts!! That's all I use and NEVER have any rust in any of my bores. Can't buy a Goodoien barrel anymore and will use no other product! Hard to clean out the rig? Not really. Better than ruining a barrel!

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 10:06:27 PM »
i agree when i purchased by bench barrel from jim goodieon he recomended RIG
after 10 years no rust, its the best...
paul

Birdhunter

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 04:32:18 AM »
Kaintuck,
I've been shooting B.P. for several years now(37). I live in IN where humidity is high alot of the time. All I use now is Bore Butter - Natural Lube to grease patches & the bore after cleaning with never a hint of rust. Also never have had any problem with powder contamination and failure to fire as I had in the past with petroleum based grease or oil.
Regards,
Curt

Daryl

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 04:42:48 PM »
Curt - did you see the 'oil/grease' test results?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 01:37:03 AM by Daryl »

Birdhunter

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 11:26:56 PM »
Daryl,
WEE?????????????????????????????????
Curt

Daryl

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 01:37:36 AM »
Sorry - mean did you See the bore butter rust test?