Author Topic: Brand new styled after JP Beck  (Read 4555 times)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Brand new styled after JP Beck
« on: July 25, 2011, 01:41:48 AM »
Just finished this one. Did it to the best of my ability using research books and internet photos to style as much as I could. Not a direct copy of any particular rifle, but based on techniques and style of JP Beck.  I used a Rice 50 Cal 44" "B" profile (I really like that barrel) it's a full pound lighter than the C profile. Makes a nice slim lightweight rifle. My next rifle will be similar but I plan to try to locate a nice stock blank at the CLR show. to build the next one from scratch. Enjoy my photos.

wetzel

Re: Brand new styled after JP Beck
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 02:12:46 AM »
Good Job Micah on a great looking rifle.  I really like the nice rich color of the stock and the deep finish that you achieved.  Can you explain your process?

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 02:29:49 AM »
The color is Laurel Mountain Forge Lancaster Maple second coated with their walnut diluted slightly. The finish is Chambers Oil finish.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 03:07:14 AM »
Miach; Very nice job. Time and effort looks to have been well spent it on your part. I really like the finished color on the completed project. Thanks for sharing the pictures. AJ

"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 05:30:25 AM »
    Overall, great job. Looking forward to seeing the next one. What do you have planed?    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline draken

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 06:16:44 AM »
Great job Micah, that is one fine looking rifle !   The engraving is well executed and I really like the color of the wood
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 01:46:58 PM »
    Overall, great job. Looking forward to seeing the next one. What do you have planed?    AL

I'm planning to build a similar one to keep. I'm hopeing to find a nice stock blank at the CLR show. I really love the feel of the Rice 50cal 44" "B" profile barrel. So that's going to be the heart of the new one as well.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 03:55:30 AM »
That looks GREAT :)
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 05:15:20 PM »
Real pretty work and I love the color too!