Author Topic: Hot shooting !  (Read 7543 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Hot shooting !
« on: July 25, 2011, 06:25:32 PM »
Although I thought it too hot we shot yesterday at Susquehanna Sportsmen Danville Pa.  12 shooters covered loading area (thank heaven) 92 degrees and little air.  The little air we did enjoy however.  Paper agg plus hawk and knife 5 throws each.  Shot for cash (better than medals in my book. Our club has enough medals for targets for a while.... ;D) Ended up soaking wet sweated; and glad to cool off in the a/c clubhouse.  So, thats out of my system Next stop the Gunmakers Fair.  Forecast in the 90's  so what else is new ::)

Offline James

Re: Hot shooting !
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 06:42:17 PM »
Sounds like it was fun, even if a little warm.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 07:41:13 PM »
Good for you, Roger - toughing out the nasty hot, humid weather that plagues the East - we hates it, we do.  Do wish I was going to see you all at Dixon's though - I'll miss that (again), even with the heat, I'd go - again - and will, some day.

R.W.D.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 08:57:39 PM »
Been averaging 100 degrees every day here in central Arkansas plus the drought.  Haven't had to mow my yard in at least two weeks.  I'm still out there giving my 40 cal a workout and keeping my shooting skills exercised, but man it is tough.  I'm am soooo ready for some cooler weather.  Come on October and hunting season.

Macon Due

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 01:10:39 AM »
R.W.D.
Man......you must be around ....'La Petite Roche '....I spent 3 years there and it was about the only place worse than Central/North Mo. that I'd been!
I feel for ya..........Macon

bob243

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 11:02:53 PM »
Only in the 90s for the Fair this year?      I am pretty sure last year broke 100 on Sat.

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 02:37:41 AM »
It got up to 19 today - about 68F, I guess. Just don't know how you guys can stand it.   

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 07:59:26 PM »
68 degrees, that's November High temperatures here in Georgia.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
We'll have a couple feet of snow, the ground will be frozen solid, and we'll be enjoying some decent cool weather.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

B Staley

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 04:54:36 PM »
I was going to do a little shooting but would like it to cool down to at least 98. Dang it’s been a hot summer hear in Alabama......B Staley

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 05:23:39 PM »
We're going to shoot some trap today at the new range - BP ctg. and ML alike. should be fun - not too hot either - about 46F right now at 7:30might climb up to 65 by afternoon - it'll be nice it if doesn't get any warmer than that.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 08:13:03 PM »
Our match was cancelled.  104 degrees projected.  Thermometer under the neighbor's carport read 102 at 10:30.  Humidity matches.

A 12 year old boy needs one pint of water per hour in these conditions to stay hydrated.  Old fat guys need a lot more.  We've had a couple of instances in the last couple of months where guys had to stop halfway thru the woodswalk with mild heat exhaustion.  Canadians would have stroked out long before then.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 04:11:44 AM »
Oh yeah - it got up to mid 70's today, and everyone was complaining - maybe me more than most - don't like the heat - or the sun for that matter.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 05:38:35 AM »
TOF,

Luckily you guys were having a cold front!

You are absolutely right about staying hydrated. We as Americans and Canadians generally do not drink enough water to actually be properly hydrated. Gaorade is great after the fun, but not as  hydration. And forget about Soda Pop, that will just get you in a world of hurt.

It would be wise to have bottled water at stages of the woods walk, to help the fellows stay hydrated. No offence, but it seems to me from looking at everyone's pictures, that the majority of participants are ummm, older gents. We have bad habits of drinking the wrong stuff. So a reminder before you start to hydrate, with the opportunity to drink some water along the way, will make sure no one suffers any debilitating injuries that could have been easily prevented.

Recently, in Tennessee, a 49YO police officer died of heat related injuries. He felt bad, went home to lie down, and never woke up.

Two bottles of water in the two hours before he felt bad, would have saved his life, and not made orphans of his two children.

Stay safe!

Albert

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 05:32:23 PM »
TOF,

Luckily you guys were having a cold front!

You are absolutely right about staying hydrated. We as Americans and Canadians generally do not drink enough water to actually be properly hydrated. Gaorade is great after the fun, but not as  hydration. And forget about Soda Pop, that will just get you in a world of hurt.

It would be wise to have bottled water at stages of the woods walk, to help the fellows stay hydrated. No offence, but it seems to me from looking at everyone's pictures, that the majority of participants are ummm, older gents. We have bad habits of drinking the wrong stuff. So a reminder before you start to hydrate, with the opportunity to drink some water along the way, will make sure no one suffers any debilitating injuries that could have been easily prevented.

Recently, in Tennessee, a 49YO police officer died of heat related injuries. He felt bad, went home to lie down, and never woke up.

Two bottles of water in the two hours before he felt bad, would have saved his life, and not made orphans of his two children.

Stay safe!

Albert
Al your right and I'm going to change my ways (well at least the water part!! I'm going to water inlieu of the coke (Coca Cola that is) Thanks for the wake up post!!! :)

Leatherbelly

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 06:56:26 PM »
 Ya, Daryls,lol! W A T E R ! !

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 06:57:57 PM »
It had water in it- about 90% water.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 07:14:34 PM »
You are absolutely right about staying hydrated.
Gatorade is great after the fun, but not as  hydration.
Al,
While that is generally true, it doesn't hold in all cases.  Sometimes you need the components in Gatorade too.  When I was younger, I used to race motorcycle enduros.  I was 38 years old when I rode this particular one.  It was 99 degrees and the race was 125 miles long.  Only one stop in the middle for fuel or drink.  Couple that with wearing heavy motocross boots, wool socks, leathers, and a helmut and goggles.  The terrain included strip mines and deep woods with numerous river and stream crossings.  If you had to stop for any reason, you became a living oven without any wind to cool you down.

I chugged a gallon of Gatorade at the pit stop, and it was all sweated out by the time I finished.  I came in 2nd in that race and I was a B class rider at the time.  1st went to an A rider, and only 3 of us finished the whole distance.  I seriously don't think I could have done it without Gatorade.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Daryl

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 08:42:47 PM »
If you need the triglycerides, then Gaterade or similar is needed. Depends on how much you are sweating/working. To drink it when not needed for what's in it, instead of water, is not a good idea, when all you need is h2o (according to my food and drug counciler/lab technologist, Tracy.  That's why I went with the 90% straight water beverage, A, CB.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 10:28:22 PM »
If you need the triglycerides, then Gaterade or similar is needed.
C'mon man, give me a break.  Triglycerides are a fat found in the bloodstream.  There are none in Gatorade.  The two key nutrients it replenishes are potassium and sucrose.  The potassium keeps your system in balance and the sucrose is converted to glucose, which is burned for energy and converted to lactic acid in the process.  Lactic acid is what causes cramping under heavy activity.  There is a reason why athletes drink the stuff under heavy physical activities.

Granted it isn't necessary for a simple woodswalk, but certainly wouldn't hurt anything at the end of the activity.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Daryl

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 12:48:16 AM »
If you need the triglycerides, then Gaterade or similar is needed.
C'mon man, give me a break.  Triglycerides are a fat found in the bloodstream.  There are none in Gatorade.  The two key nutrients it replenishes are potassium and sucrose.  The potassium keeps your system in balance and the sucrose is converted to glucose, which is burned for energy and converted to lactic acid in the process.  Lactic acid is what causes cramping under heavy activity.  There is a reason why athletes drink the stuff under heavy physical activities.

Granted it isn't necessary for a simple woodswalk, but certainly wouldn't hurt anything at the end of the activity.

I used the wrong word - well sorry you need a break over that.

Here's your break - You could have said, Daryl, I think you meant electrolytes needing replacement or boosting, not tryclycerides - but you didn't, oh well.