Author Topic: barrel length?  (Read 2870 times)

Offline mark esterly

barrel length?
« on: July 15, 2015, 04:09:26 AM »
can someone please tell me how one arrives at the original barrel length of a previously un-documented, found original rifle that's barrel was obviously cut.  seems to me to be only speculation.
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: barrel length?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 04:18:56 AM »
Educated speculation with special regard to the placement of the uppermost pipe, the style of gun, and then how it (the top pipe) is spaced to the other pipes--is the best I can figger. 

I don't think anyone would argue that this can be guessed much closer than an inch. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 04:20:43 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 04:30:51 AM »
now see.  that's my point.  say a barrel was cut way back and the stock was broke and missing from the entry pipe or the next one.  you don't know how many pipes were there 2 or 3 so there's really no way to say for sure.
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 04:42:06 AM »
Look for the underlugs moved on the barrel or the stock re-drilled for pins after breech end was shortened.
Andover, Vermont

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 05:00:39 AM »
now see.  that's my point.  say a barrel was cut way back and the stock was broke and missing from the entry pipe or the next one.  you don't know how many pipes were there 2 or 3 so there's really no way to say for sure.

Or four?  (my style).  Yes, never any way to know for sure.  I'll not argue that point, especially where other parts have been altered.
Hold to the Wind