Author Topic: Questions about my rifle  (Read 4571 times)

Lance

Questions about my rifle
« on: July 27, 2011, 11:05:38 PM »
Pictures of my long rifle can be viewed at photobucket.com

Click on pictures by Larry4651

The overall length is 60" with the barrel measuring 43".  The barrel was made by GR Douglas, which indicates the barrel is not that old.  However, the tiger striped stock may be much older.

I have had the rifle since the mid 70s, but have never fired it.  I did clean some black powder out of the barrel when I got it. 

What is the purpose of the barrel extension? 

Can anyone shed any light on this type of rifle?  Was it common to have that long of a barrel with a half stock?
The stock is in pretty good shape.

Is it still considered a Kentucky/Pennsylvania rifle, or some hybrid?

Can a value be determined from just seeing the pictures?

Thanks.

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Questions about my rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 11:22:06 PM »
Most folks will not find the photos so here is a link to them:
http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb335/Larry4651/

Pictures of my long rifle can be viewed at photobucket.com

Click on pictures by Larry4651

The overall length is 60" with the barrel measuring 43".  The barrel was made by GR Douglas, which indicates the barrel is not that old.  However, the tiger striped stock may be much older.

I have had the rifle since the mid 70s, but have never fired it.  I did clean some black powder out of the barrel when I got it.

What is the purpose of the barrel extension?

Can anyone shed any light on this type of rifle?  Was it common to have that long of a barrel with a half stock?
The stock is in pretty good shape.

Is it still considered a Kentucky/Pennsylvania rifle, or some hybrid?

Can a value be determined from just seeing the pictures?

Thanks.
What is the purpose of the barrel extension? That is a false muzzle used to protect the muzzle while loading.

It appears to be a contemporary half-stock rifle, probably made by someone with machine skills (hence the false muzzle) but not particularity good gun building skills. Adequate for building a decent shooting target rifle but not otherwise great looking long rifle architecture. Yes its a contemporary copy of a late  KY/PA half stock rifle.

Value is always in the eyes of the beholder but I would guess at maybe $200 - $300 primarily for the barrel/lock. If black powder residue was left in the barrel make that $100-150! Black powder is highly corrosive and if left that long the barrel is probably ruined!
Dennis

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:25:29 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Lance

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 12:59:50 AM »
Thanks for responding.  I cleaned the black powder out when I got the rifle.  I think the person I bought it from had been shooting with it up to the time he sold it, but I don't know for sure.  This was back in the mid 70s.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »
Looks like who ever made the gun made what they though a rifle should look like without any reference material. I wonder why the wood is burned by the trigger guard.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 11:45:23 PM »
Looking at the triggers, I'm wondering if the front trigger is the set and the rear fires it.  If that is the case and coupled with the false muzzle, I'd say the builder was much more concerned with shooting than with the aesthetics of the piece.
If I'm wrong about the trigger set up, then it looks like a pretty awkward trigger setup. ;D

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Lance

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 04:10:06 PM »
It's just the opposite on the trigger setup.  The rear trigger is the set and the front trigger fires it.

Does the stock appear to be any older than the barrel?  I've always wondered if the stock was from an older rifle and the barrel was replaced with the GR Douglas barrel.