Author Topic: H Nock frizzen linkage  (Read 4255 times)

doug

H Nock frizzen linkage
« on: November 06, 2008, 07:49:52 AM »
      I had a chance to look at a fowler by H Nock a couple of days ago.  I thought I would post a picture of the lock here because the linkage is different from any that I have seen before; it is a short bar joining the frizzen and the feather spring.  I tossed in the other two pictures just to be complete.

cheers Doug

« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 07:55:05 AM by doug »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: H Nock frizzen linkage
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 08:03:25 PM »
Very interesting Doug.  The feather spring pulls instead of pushes.  How was the action of the frizzen?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

doug

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 10:28:10 PM »
Very interesting Doug.  The feather spring pulls instead of pushes.  How was the action of the frizzen?

The spring actually pushes and when the frizzen is part way open, the little arm is past top dead center so that the frizzen stays open.  What I was particularly impressed with was how well the lock sparked.  The mainspring was not spectacularly strong nor the frizzen spring for that matter but when I put a new flint in the lock and tried it, it was one of the best sparking locks I think I have seen.
     It seems like an awkward link to make and I would think the roller style would be equally or more effective as well as simpler to make.

cheers Doug

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 01:17:08 AM »
Hi Doug,
Keith Neal and David Back's book Great British Gunmakers has a photo of a lock made by John Twigg in the late 1770's that had a similar linkage between the feather spring and the frizzen. It seems many of the gunsmiths at that time were experimenting with ways to speed up the action of the frizzen and perhaps eliminate any chance that it only opens part way. 

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 06:54:13 PM »
Doug,
I dug into my library last night (I apologize for being a bit of a bookworm) and found out a bit of information from Neal and Backs book on the Packington guns.  There are 3 forms of the linkage that are known on English guns.  The first is found on a lock built by Thwait of Bath England around 1760.  The linkage is quite long because the upper tip of the feather spring dips down dramatically toward the bottom of the lockplate.  It is pinned to the frizzen only and the bottom of the link fits into a groove in the spring. The camming action had a long arc to travel through.  The second form is found on a gun by Griffen and Tow from 1779.  The link is attached to the frizzen but has a simple stirrup on the other end that slides on the spring.  The third form found on numerous guns such made by Twigg, Nock and others is the style you have on your lock.  Nock used the device on some of his volley guns as late as the mid 1780s.  Apparently the roller bearing on the frizzen or the spring appeared at about the same time as the Thwait lock and both devices were built for a while.  I guess the roller bearing won out, probably because it would have been much easier to make.  By all accounts the device worked very well.

dave   
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 09:10:31 PM »
A LOT of things were tried in firearms improvements in England in the 18th and 19th Century. It was so bad at times that there were newspaper cartoons about it. Some were excellent some were jsut hype.
Remember that they were building for the landed gentry and Royalty so they kept looking for ways to be "new and improved".
I am SURE this works very well and I seem to have read of it someplace. But the various roller systems must have been more practical.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine