Author Topic: Patchbox spring question  (Read 3091 times)

Bioprof

Patchbox spring question
« on: November 06, 2008, 08:30:45 AM »
I am using a patchbox door closing spring on a rifle that I am building that came with the patchbox blank (the kind that you can cut out your own finial).  The spring seems kind of soft.   I was able to bend it pretty easily to get it to fit.  Can these be used as is, or are you supposed to heat treat them and temper before using?  It seems to work as is, but I'm concerned that it might lose it strength over time.

northmn

Re: Patchbox spring question
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 01:46:11 PM »
I would use the spring as is.  They really are not all that hard to replace down the road.  As I have no idea what type of steel is in the thing I have no idea as to reharden it properly as some steels use a lower temp for tempering than others.  Some grind hack saw blades down and use them.

DP

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 04:59:08 PM »
I usually harden and temper them, but it's not really necessary.  There's so little travel in the spring it doesn't much matter.  I've made springs from old door hinge pins (which make perfect spring latches, by the way).  I know those aren't spring steel!
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 07:16:13 PM »
It isn't neccessary to harden and temper it but it is better. Why not? It doesn't take long, It will work a lot better, you will be happier with yourdelf and no gunmaker is complete until he can heat treat carbon steel.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 03:32:23 AM »
Well, you know, I guess it depends upon the type of spring, actually.  Like some of the springs that mount under the front patchbox "head" and curve up heavily to pop the lid open should be real spring steel.

When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."