Author Topic: My other 2 rifles  (Read 5882 times)

arizonagirl

My other 2 rifles
« on: July 29, 2011, 07:43:29 AM »
Thought I'd show off my other two old timers. The top one has not be treated nicely, and is in the shop for repairs.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:05:36 AM by Dr. Tim-Boone »

Offline alyce-james

Re: My other 2 rifles
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 03:50:01 PM »
Of the three rifles recently picked up, I believe I like the full stock rifle best. However the full grained half stock runs a tight second. Thanks for the pictures. AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 04:50:19 PM »
Interesting triggers on the fullstock.  I've never seen an arrangement like that for setting the let off of the hair trigger.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 04:56:51 PM »
The fullstock has a Virginia look to me, especially with the double headed silver acorn inlay on the forearm.  Of the two (in my mind), that one is the most interesting.  By chance is there a name or initials on the top flat of the barrel?  My bet would be on it being a piece made in the Shenandoah Valley somewhere.

FK
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:02:48 PM by Fullstock longrifle »

arizonagirl

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 05:28:09 PM »
The top is a rifle from John Sheetz's shop. It is not signed, and the barrel maker is J Worley. The bottom is by J Beck

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 05:32:42 PM »
Jesse Worley (1788-1838) was a Berks County, PA barrel maker.

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 06:06:04 PM »
If memory serves me right, John Sheetz worked in Staunton Virginia, so it would indeed be a Valley rifle if it was made by John Sheetz.  By the way, who who attributed it?   Worley is a barrel maker, so old John Sheetz must have purchased the barrel from him.

FK

arizonagirl

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 06:11:30 PM »
I have the rifle in Don Stith's , Troutville, Va., shop now for repairs. A couple of longun collectors there have looked at it, and it had a little tag with some information on it when I purchased it.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 04:19:29 AM »
You should have someone look carefully at the J. Sheets rifle. It may be an in use restock of an earlier rifle.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

arizonagirl

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 06:00:40 PM »
I am not quite sure what you mean about an earlier restock?? These are the very first old timers I was fortunate to own, so my knowledge is lacking. I collect Savage 99's, and what ever old rifle that attracts my attention.  Don, who's link I attached, has the rifle now for repairs, and much of what I know comes from him. Perhaps you might want to email him. Rachel

http://www.donstith.com/deluxe_squirrel.html

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 05:19:58 AM »
I am not quite sure what you mean about an earlier restock?? These are the very first old timers I was fortunate to own, so my knowledge is lacking. I collect Savage 99's, and what ever old rifle that attracts my attention.  Don, who's link I attached, has the rifle now for repairs, and much of what I know comes from him. Perhaps you might want to email him. Rachel

http://www.donstith.com/deluxe_squirrel.html

What I said was a restock of an earlier rifle not an "earlier restock." I simple terms, it looks like this rifle may very well have started life as one made by John Sheets but at some point the original stock was damaged beyond repair and replaced ("restocked") with a new one. The rifle may have been only 20-40 years old when this happened so it is still an antique stock but just not the one it left the shop with.
Longrifle stocks are fragile and if one is really smashed it was simply easier to replace it rather than repair it with available technology.
In any collectable gun having a major component replaced would have an impact on the collectors value. BUT it will take careful hands on examination and probably fairly complete disassembly to determine if the stock is first work or replaced. That's not something that can be determined with any certainty from the pictures you posted.
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 05:30:40 PM »
Thought I'd show off my other two old timers. The top one has not be treated nicely, and is in the shop for repairs.

Arizona,  Glad you shared them with the forum.  I especially like that fullstock.  It's is a beautiful rifle and the inlay on the patchside is unique
and well executed.  The star is very nicely done also.  I'd be proud to hang those on my wall.   Welcome to the forum. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 05:53:02 PM »
Arizonagirl,
Welcome to the forum! I agree with Suzkat they are nice pieces and you are blessed to have them. I think that many times some of the participants on the forum are too fast to scrutinize the rifles that are presented without any consideration of a proper greeting. I apologize on their behalf, do not let what you might consider to be negative feed back discourage you. Most of the time the intentions are good, Flintersmith is just trying to give you some advice.
Buck