Author Topic: My first "Scratch" Rev War horn ( Don't laugh !! )  (Read 9285 times)

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
My first "Scratch" Rev War horn ( Don't laugh !! )
« on: August 01, 2011, 02:09:52 AM »
After seeing all of the excellent scrim work some of you do I was hard pressed to show my first attempt at scratching a horn but I am a man of my word and here are some pics.
My vision was a colonial Rev War era militiamans horn that he may have worked on sitting around a fire or under a tree when he had the chance to draw on one. That being said if I was alive during the 1770s this is the way I would have done it with no formal instruction and my real lack of artistic skills. I have learned a great deal by "doing" and have made many mistakes along the way so far.

All of this was penciled on prior to scratching, nothing was traced only copied from historic drawings and freehanded. I got some of the script fonts off of the web to try and be as realistic as possible. I did the majority of this on my kitchen table with a small pillow to support the horn. I made a few tools from old steak knives, had a set of Exactos and also bought a set of small of carving tools which I reground the points to my liking. I used India ink as recommended by a few people here.
 The next time around I am going to have a table mounted magnifying glass and better light, my 56 year old nearsightedness needs all the help it can get.

I have found a new and enjoyable hobby that goes along with my longrifle shooting. :)

Overall I am pleased with the way it came out and thanks again to all for the advice and encouragement.

Please excuse the pic quality.

The "Join or Die" snake depicting the colonies.

American eagle with ribbon saying "Join or Die" ( I screwed up the center part of the ribbon and the "or" so it went on the birds belly. Also the Cowpens battle and date ( I went too deep on the P , U and N.

Sons of Liberty. I think this is the best part of the horn so far.
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: My first "Scratch" Rev War horn ( Don't laugh !! )
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 02:39:23 AM »
Hey,  I think it's great.  Nice job.  Been wanting to try one myself.  I've drawn it out and thrown it away twice now.  I keep getting more ideas.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline horseman

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 04:09:01 AM »
 Looks to me as if that is a very good first time horn.  I like the color, too.  Good job.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 05:15:56 AM »
I've seen first attempt horns not near as nice as yours, great start and good color. Jim & Alyce.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 05:27:56 AM »
Very nice horn. Remember that not all horns and scrim was done by a "master" and many of the horns show this.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Scout

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 03:59:43 PM »
Thanks for all of your kindness. I really enjoy the time at the table doing this, it has a calming effect on me in some way.  :)

seesbirds

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 05:10:33 PM »
Nice job on the scrim for the first time out.  Horn looks good too.  Keep at it, you're doing good work.

Downeastboy

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 07:40:06 PM »
You did a great job - no laughing warranted.   Color is nice - engraving is lookin' good - a heck of a Rev War horn for a first one (or second or third ...) ...

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 01:03:59 AM »
  What Steve said. Good start. Can we see the tip?

Thanks, Tim C.

Offline Scout

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 04:19:10 AM »
  What Steve said. Good start. Can we see the tip?

Thanks, Tim C.
I will take a few more pics soon and will include the tip this time. I do not want to take claim for the color or the tip work as I bought this horn last year from October Country as a F&I War era horn. It was beautiful when they made it for me and I was very reluctant to carve on it due to my inexperience. As you see some of the color has rubbed off during my scratching sessions. It now looks a bit more "aged" which is perfect for what I wanted it to look like anyway. I have to admit I was a bit worried when I seen the stain getting thin in placed but it all worked out in the end.

ravenfeeder

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 08:00:07 PM »
Really great job! I have seen a few original horns, and barring a few, many had mistakes or rough work. It adds to the character and authenticity of the horn.

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 08:31:32 PM »
This is a first???   Nice job...and anyone that spend time in the horn shop and on the scrim table will tell you...we are our own worse critics...

Don't be too hard on yourself...that is a really nice piece.

Offline Scout

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 04:39:44 AM »
Great bunch of folks here, real American spirit of helping and encouraging each other.

Thanks again !

KennyC

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 07:04:11 AM »
LOL LOL had to laugh nice job 

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 03:31:32 PM »
I think it's great!

It's authentic handmade, and as several have said it's got character. It's a horn meant to be used, not placed on a stand covered with a lucite box.

I might add that it's a hundred timies better than the one I made...

Albert “The Afghan” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
Feral Bull Fighting: Another Chronicles Adventure!

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 06:59:32 PM »
The "mistakes" as you call them add a lot to the finished piece. Most original horns were done by the owner, not by professionals, and were first efforts also. Although we all love to see artistic, well executed work, it is not nearly as authentic as the less than perfect.

BTW...the fix for the eyes is a magni-visor.

MikeCooper

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 01:15:09 AM »
besides the scrimshaw,  nice carving and antique staining. 

Offline Down South

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 04:04:34 AM »
Hey Man.  Great job.  Last scrimmed horn I did looked like a chicken with muddy feet walked across it!  I think it's a great job.  Welcome to the addiction of "scratchin".  It just gets worse from here.  Pretty soon you'll be doodling of everything and saving the doodles in a scrap book just for patterns. 
Billy

Top Jaw

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 04:36:11 AM »
Great first effort!  I had a horner I know critique my first effort at the CLA recently.  One thing he noted on mine, is that most of the lettering was done between scribed lines.  That helps keep it all proportional by giving your blade a place to start & stop, and it also helps in keeping on track with the flow of the curveture of the horn.   

Offline Scout

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 03:48:32 PM »
Thanks everone for the support. :)

I'm now getting a bit more serious as I am waiting for a book about 18th century powder horns and how to make them and  have a couple of horns I'm waiting on to be delivered too.

I will post from beginning of my next project thru it's completion.

I feel like a big kid at Christmas time !

Martyman

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 04:53:26 PM »
very nice job, Sir!