Author Topic: Tansel inspired horn  (Read 8843 times)

Ahtuwisae

Tansel inspired horn
« on: August 02, 2011, 06:36:40 AM »
A Tansel inspired horn I completed just before leaving for Dixon's. Now that the event is over...(hot, humid, HOT!!!) I am posting  Although it did not place, I was very pleased with the critique I received as it will help in future endeavors.  it is a bit picure heavy.  ENJOY

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Tansel inspired horn
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 07:28:20 PM »
Beautiful horn.  Super work.  Especially like the eagle. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 08:07:34 PM »
Excellent rendition of this style horn. All aspects of the art work are expertly completed. Thanks for the pictures. AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:09:55 PM »
Ooooopps !! The shading is the high light on this horn for me. AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Martyman

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:17:31 PM »
Very Very nice work, Sir!

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 08:42:10 PM »
Just a wonderful horn from end to end. Your eagle is outstanding. The horn looks to be on the long side.  How long is it, if you don't mind? Again, very well done.    JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

Leatherbelly

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 08:43:31 AM »
 I love the way the body swallows up the throat. Nicely executed. Very pleasing to the eye. Well done.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 02:09:03 PM »
Another incredible work of art! As canvasback said, look at the tansition from throat to body!

May I ask where you get the eagle pictures? or better said, do you freehand the eagles, or are they from some reference?

Ummm, if you didn't place, how good were all the ones that did? It seems almost impossible to judge considering how many artisans produce these incredible horns!

Best regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
Make Beef Jerkey at Home!

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 03:06:10 PM »
Just a wonderful horn from end to end. Your eagle is outstanding. The horn looks to be on the long side.  How long is it, if you don't mind? Again, very well done.    JZ

It is 14 1/2 inches long.  The picture makes it look thinner and longer...a side effect of digital photography....I am still learning how to adust for that.

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 03:11:01 PM »
Another incredible work of art! As canvasback said, look at the tansition from throat to body!

May I ask where you get the eagle pictures? or better said, do you freehand the eagles, or are they from some reference?

Ummm, if you didn't place, how good were all the ones that did? It seems almost impossible to judge considering how many artisans produce these incredible horns!

Best regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
Make Beef Jerkey at Home!

I freehand all my art.  If I use reference material it is usually from one of the books in my growing library on horns......Eagle reference material can be garned from the web too by searching for "federal eagles".....

As for the horn placing...Dixon's is not a 1st second or third placement system...all horns entered could receive a ribbon.  they are all judged the same and could all receive a ribbon if they meet the skill levels at which they are entered.  the critique sheets that they do and attache are often more valuable than actually winning anything.

As for the horn that won..there were three actually...Bill Legdon's entry in engraved and two for optional categories...all were excellent examples of workmanship.

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 03:11:50 PM »
Thank you all for the compliments..they are much appreciated.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 03:12:41 PM »
 GREAT horn! Very well done.

Tim C.

Berks Liberty

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 03:14:23 PM »
JOHN!,

The next time you are at work, you need to bring it with and throw it in my truck.  I will properly dispose of it for you.  I know it is eating at you to have that thing in your house!  It will be all right.  I'll take it for you okay!   :P

Berk

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 08:28:16 PM »
JOHN!,

The next time you are at work, you need to bring it with and throw it in my truck.  I will properly dispose of it for you.  I know it is eating at you to have that thing in your house!  It will be all right.  I'll take it for you okay!   :P

Berk

I posted this horn yesterday on the CLA "for Sale" and have an offer from a gentlman in Southern Australia.  Nice to know a piece I made will travel to exotic locations, get filled with powder and have a good life.....I am still working on the shipping and payment details but it looks like a done deal.  Sorry Berk..you will ahve to wait for the next one.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 08:29:08 PM by Ahtuwisae »

Leatherbelly

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 02:37:50 AM »
  I have a question about eagles. I really like yours,BTW. If the eagle has its talons of it's left leg around some weapons, does it mean the country is at war ? Or is it vise versa. Olive branch in this case is held by the right talons.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 02:45:34 AM »
LB, I understand that it depends on which way the eagle's head is pointed.  If it is towards the arrows, the horn would have been created during wartime, and visa-versa.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

eseabee1

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 03:49:40 AM »
LB, I understand that it depends on which way the eagle's head is pointed.  If it is towards the arrows, the horn would have been created during wartime, and visa-versa.

you sir are correct if the eagle is looking toward the arrows or inward its war time if he his looking towards the olive branch or outwards its peace time

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 10:50:49 PM »
Thank you for answering that Ed...

Offline Carl Dumke

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 11:06:48 PM »
  I have a question about eagles. I really like yours,BTW. If the eagle has its talons of it's left leg around some weapons, does it mean the country is at war ? Or is it vise versa. Olive branch in this case is held by the right talons.

First, let me say that John's work is fantastic--GREAT JOB!  We all learn a great deal looking at each other's work.

An eagle with only arrows in both talons is called a war eagle.  Early in my military life, a lot of Colonels fighting in combat used to wear eagles that were grasping arrows--no olive branches.  Today we have to wear ones with arrows in the eagles left talons (ready for war) and olive branches (ready for peace) in their right. 
Carl