Author Topic: Any Suggestions  (Read 5907 times)

LURCHWV@BJS

Any Suggestions
« on: August 04, 2011, 01:16:25 AM »
  I recently acquired this honkn huge horn,  It was more or less given to me.  Ive looked at horns and can usually imagine something with it.  This one I keep coming up empty.  Thought I'd post it here an see if anyone would tell me what they'd do with it.  For whatever reason this thing just dosen't seem normal.

Gonna be staying up late tonite thought I'd work on it....... if I can figure out what to do with it :o :o :o ;D

Rich

david50

Re: Any Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 01:41:28 AM »
man that is a monster! storage horn for fishing tackle or flint and steel kit,maybe a large rum horn??

omark

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 06:19:33 AM »
beerstein????              ;D            mark

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 03:38:14 PM »
Rich,

Do the initial scrapeing/sanding/rasping and see what's underneath, it might tell you more at that point.

PLEASE wear an N95 respirator (Quality dust mask, check the numbers on the package; get it at the Borg cubes) while doing so. Horn can have spores on it, and organic dust in the lungs can cause all sort of issues.

As big as it is, I would suggest a Rum horn also. That would be really cool!

Albert “The Afghan” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
Feral Bull Fighting: Another Chronicles Adventure!

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 07:34:06 PM »
Rum Horn it is,  had to search for examples, might be a good first horn to try scrim on.  Give me a couple dayz.

Rich

Offline bigbat

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 08:11:51 PM »
I have made over 3000 horns and never have worn a dust mask (cough cough) Maybe that is my lung problem!!

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 03:52:04 AM »
I'm with Scott in that I don't wear a mask or respirator. I have a full beard and it wouldn't help. I have to wear a hood when painting. If you scrape and rasp as I usually do, I believe the dust is not a big problem. If you use a belt or disc sander then it might be. Safety is never a bad idea.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline blackdave

• Starting Member
  • Young at Heart - My wife says "immature"
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 04:14:47 AM »
Have you thought about using it to make a horn tip or use it as a sacrificial horn to make bands for a nice banded horn?  It looks nice and thick and would probably lend itself well to creating an even better horn.  Just a thought!

Your humble servant,

Black Dave
" If a man wants to carry a cat home by the tail, I say let him! He's going to be getting several times as much information as the man who hasn't tried it. And it isn't likely to ever become dim or doubtful, either! It isn't always easy to be eccentric, you know."   Mark Twain

greybeard

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 04:32:12 AM »
Rich. Big honkin horn for sure. Make it into a regular horn and use it when you have to say "Hello friend. Could I borrow a bit of powder"????????
    Cheers Rich.   Bob

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 06:00:05 AM »
The way it has that wavy growth and the buggered up tip almost looks like a part of a BigHorn Sheep horn with a broomed tip. 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 06:18:49 AM »
I've seen longhorns that the farmer cut the tips off, so that the cattle didn't skewer their buddies.  The end grows rounded over like that, and is often ragged looking.

You could cut it off square, and install a flask head.  I have a horn like that and it is pretty handy.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 07:46:31 AM »
On safety:

Rasping wouldn't be bad, and neither would scraping, but you are absolutely correct that power sanding throws up a lot of dust. Even hand sanding with sandpaper and a rubber block puts out a lot of fine particulate matter.

Organic Dust Toxic Syndrome is a problem. Leather workers suffer from similar issues generally called pneumoconiosis. One of the major worries is that it can often take several decades for a person to develop any symptoms of pneumoconiosis which can manifest itself in things like excess coughing, breathing difficulties and even weight loss.

Nothing to panic about, but it pays to take precautions!

Best regards,
Albert “The Afghan” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
Big Cutters, Rank Hogs, and Coffee!

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 08:33:14 AM »
My thoughts on the origin of the horn, possibly from a Brahma bull it certainly looks like ones I've seen in the past. I have it partially scraped and filed out some deep gouges.  Have read some potentially good ideas.  Kinda waiting to see if an idea pops out at me. 

Yes Albert I have been known to put on PPE  when sanding   between asbestos and silicate exposure I don't want to push my luck

Thanks for the concern

Rich  ;D