Author Topic: Help identify this lock  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Curt Larsen

Help identify this lock
« on: August 04, 2011, 05:47:36 PM »
This lock is from an ebay buy from an antique gun that was parted out.  I won the lock and trigger guard and trigger and plate, but not the stock or barrel.  The lock is 5 3/8" long and 7/8" wide.  It is lightly pitted, looks to be an English pattern, and has a period correct (1700's) side plate.  The only mark on the face of the plate is an oval with what seem to be the numerals 264 in Arabic script.  The trigger guard seems to be 1763 Charleville or something like that.  The lock sure doesn't look French--maybe Turkish?  Any thoughts you have would be welcome.  Here are some pics:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 01:59:42 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Curt Larsen

Re: Help identify this lock
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 05:42:31 AM »
I thought that I would try to revive this topic instead of downloading the photos again.  I'm still trying to identify this lock.  One just like it was up on ebay a while back so there was more than just this one made.  Any ideas on its origin would be appreciated.  Thanks,

Curt

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 06:40:09 PM »
I'd say a lock from a commercial "military style" musket, probably made in what is now Belgium. At the time it may have been described as "Dutch"... depending on how late it is. We don't have the size but it looks very much like the lock used on a very common pistol that is known to be Belgian made, probably from the 1830s. Those pistols have a flat bottom grip, often with a ring mounted in it and no ramrod. Because they are quite similar to a late British pattern single shot percussion pistol, I've heard it speculated they were made for one of the Indian native states but never delivered. Sears Roebuck and others were selling them at the turn of the century for something like $3.50.

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 04:00:28 PM »
Thanks.  At least this is a clue.  Was that the same type of pistol that Bannermans sold as well?

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 06:46:30 PM »
I believe so. There must have been hundreds, if not thousands of them. I know I've seen dozens over the years, often in nearly unused condition. Forty-five years ago we would shoot cans off the fence posts in my friends corral with one... like all original locks, even the cheap ones, they were very reliable.