Author Topic: sheepskin hunting pouches  (Read 4375 times)

ajrd

sheepskin hunting pouches
« on: August 05, 2011, 07:43:45 PM »
friends , a mate has given to me one dozen of sheep skin, ( frenchman call that "basane")
and, i begin to realise some pouches for small game hunting party....
there is too few example of sheepskin pouches even in the book of buskinning....

if you've got some pictures  of antique pouches reproduction in sheepskin, i am enjoy to see that .
a datation of the style pouch , and area where the pouches were built help me lot
thanks

ajrd ' french screamer' and  as  alyce-james, turkeyfooter (french subsidiary)

ajrd

Re: sheepskin hunting pouches
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 12:44:20 PM »
I  sign off 'french turkeyfooter ' its just a kind of joke  , no turkey footer in france and no subdisiary there , sorry about that

arnaud

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 07:12:28 PM »
do they still have the wool on them?
TC
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

ajrd

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 04:51:39 PM »
no, of course.... just a correct and thick  sheepskin with no wool , perfect for hunting pouches, but too few design pictures of a antique pouches made with this kind of skin, t.c
 ajrd from france

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 05:43:59 PM »
How does it differ from cowhide? More flexible perhaps ?

Trkdriver99

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 01:26:25 AM »
I bought a "distressed" hair off sheep skin once and made 3 excellent bags out of it. I am unable to find any sheep that heavy any more. Wish I had some for it was fun and easy to work with.

Ronnie

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 04:50:05 PM »
I have a journal kept by a local farmer here in the early 1830s and into the civil was period...his family sold many sheep hides...I believe it was a common leather, and would have been used where available with out a doubt...

I have no idea how to tell if an old pouch or artifact is sheep hide, calf hide, horse hide or what really...especially once they get that old, if all of the hair or wool was removed at tanning the hide they are made from tends to look petty much the same to me...some of them may indeed be sheep for all I know.

I would use it for any bag or pattern you like...just my two cents worth..
TC
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 05:58:30 PM »
I once made a pair of winter mitts out of sheared sheep skins.  It was very easy to sew, but rather fragile.  They were the warmest mitts I've ever had, bar none.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

ajrd

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 10:46:15 AM »
TYou  . sheepskin had a large use in civil war era , especially in western front. the infamous red leg use red sheep gaiters .
I ve already made a pair of gaiter with one of my sheepskin hide , for confederate cavalry in missouri partisan event.
this gaiters are strong and very resistant and the look after one or two day in wilderness are great, like  true antique patina.
but to realize h pounch that another story ;
I've got a new possible bag too in sheepskin, built after a pattern of CWhaversack but I don' sure the design is authentic ...but ...
I think the last parts of sheepskin i've got will be used for small bag to accomodate fork and litttle leathercraft tool....

s y soon
ajrd (french mess)