Author Topic: TRYON Half Stock Attic to Relic Condition  (Read 4007 times)

realtorone

TRYON Half Stock Attic to Relic Condition
« on: August 13, 2011, 12:23:29 AM »
Was at a show two weeks ago and brought home a Tryon @36 Cal marked on the top flat and on the lock plate.The barrel is 42 inches with what I think is a short forearm14 inches from the rear of barrel to the underrib.
The stock is thin and frail looking.Brass Mounted ,Engraved patchbox and toe plate,Button in the toe plate to release the patchbox lid.The stock is broken where the back action mainspring broke,and there are pieces out along the barrel channel on both sides.Trigger Guard missing,but the set triggers are there.
Anyone have any ideas where I might find pictures.I've only found one so far it has the same patchbox but is a bar action not a bask action short barrel(may be cut and heavy barrel.Don't have any pictures yet and I took it apart. All the insides of the lock are gone.

Thumper

Re: TRYON Half Stock Attic to Relic Condition
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 02:57:46 AM »
Hello don't know if this website is the one you saw already but it shows a Tryon .36 cal. half stock rifle.

http://collectorebooks.com/jamesauction/kentucky/31963.htm

realtorone

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 05:58:41 AM »
This gun is just a "Plain Jane" single piece patch box one key stock.The stock is walnut,I think but 100 years of crud has turned it almost solid black
Thanks for your reply

Offline albert

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 06:05:03 AM »
I restored a halfstock Tryon for a guy,it was plain,had a maple stock and about  .32 cal. I could send pictures of before/after if you want. no patchbox
j albert miles

realtorone

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 03:29:19 PM »
For Albert
Please send to realtorone@gulftel.com so I can open and print at work.You can also post here for all to see.
Thanks
George

realtorone

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 03:43:14 PM »
For Thumper Several tryon's seem to have been made by someone else and then stamped (thin letters )with almost a hand stamp look.The beautiful rifle you linked  me to appears to have that type of lock stamp.My gun  has a hot stamped E.K.TRYON top line and PHILADELPHIA in the second line.The barrel stamp is also heavy wide  hot stamp.