Author Topic: Twigg Officers Pistol  (Read 4554 times)

Offline Ezra

Twigg Officers Pistol
« on: November 06, 2008, 11:16:18 PM »
Anyone ever made the Twigg Officers Pistol (732) offered by The Rifle Shoppe?  If so, do you have any photos?  Thanks.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Twigg Officers Pistol
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 08:24:53 PM »
Hi Ezra,
I guess no one on the board has built one.  I have built a number of guns from Rifle Shoppe parts so have some experience with them.  Do you have the parts or are you considering buying them?  I can tell you that John Twigg made superb guns.  I have castings for an officer's fusil by Twigg which show how well made his military guns were.  I also have several books that show Twigg holster and coach pistols but the photos don't really give you any more info than the photo in the Rifle Shoppe catalog.  Wish I could help you more.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Ezra

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 08:32:24 PM »
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the response.  This is the deal.  It is a future project,  I have had on order from Ed Rayl, (he makes them for TRS) two barrels for the Twigg Officers pistol, only in brass and .54 smoothbore.  I have two sets of parts, save the locks, on order from TRS.  The TRS order just got back from the foundry, so I should have them soon.  I have ordered two cherry pistol blanks from our good friend Dennis Glazener that I will  probably send to TRS for them to inlet.  Thus, my interest in some photos.  ;D

Ez
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 08:38:18 PM by Ezra »

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 09:27:01 PM »
Hi Ezra,
Sounds like a great project.  The Twigg pistol lock looks fairly large which is a good thing.  That means the internal parts will have enough extra metal to make drilling holes a lot easier. The small locks have such close tolerances and with the inevitable shrinkage from casting from original copies it makes it very difficult to drill holes without having to add metal by welding.  I think if I were making pistols with small locks, I would order the lock plates, cock, frizzen, and feather springs and then make all the rest of the parts.  Good luck.

dave

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 12:50:48 AM »
Ezra,
Check out the following website address:

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=8792

It may be of some interest.

dave

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 02:50:13 AM »
Dave the pistol pictured is worthy of replicating.  I like it.  Thanks for the link.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 04:35:32 AM »
Beautiful Georgian.  Reminds me of our late friend Bill Kennedy, may he rest in peace.

Ez

Offline C. ALTLAND

• Chris Altland - York County Firelocks - Authentic 18th Century Flintlock Pistol Parts Sets & Pistol Restoration Parts
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 02:17:09 PM »
Ezra your right that Georgian does remind me of Bill's Georgian parts sets. Certainly is one fine looking pistol.
YORK COUNTY FIRELOCKS  PH# 717-755-3682 
http://www.firelockpistols.com/

Cimarron

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 07:02:37 PM »
I love Georgian pistols. Some day I hope to have someone build me a pair based on one in the Tennessee State Museum. It's in relic condition and was picked up by John Sevier sometime during the King's Mountain campaign. Full octagon barrel with slight swamp. Mounts appear to be coin silver (one catalog says german silver but that's not right for a circa 1770 pistol) and engraved. Built by Ketland. The stock from the muzzle to entry pipe is missing. Barrel was held with wedges. Current cock is a 19th century replacement.

I too miss the work of Bill Kennedy.