Author Topic: Jaeger progress (1)  (Read 3612 times)

Offline DutchGramps

Jaeger progress (1)
« on: November 07, 2008, 12:08:18 AM »
Have been more or less absent from the list lately, due to futile (house painting, raking leaves in the garden  >:() and very important things (grand kids) ;D, but nevertheless some advance in building the Jaeger can be noticed, and more time for shaping the stock is looming in the near future.
I made a special saw to cut the vertical part of the barrel inlet: piece of an old saw blade, with the offset ground off on one side, and mounted it in a piece of hickory of an axe that was in the bin for the fireplace. Not very ergonomic, but it works. And I received today the set of Microplanes from the German rep.

Now, for the next installment, have a look at “Over the backfence”....

Real bikes are kick-started....

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Jaeger progress (1)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 12:20:48 AM »
I see you are a rail guy.  Never tried it because it seemed like a lot of prep.  Does it work well with swamped barrels?
Andover, Vermont

Offline DutchGramps

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 01:47:55 AM »
Yes, it takes a lot of preparation, but that done, those rails will serve the rest of your life. And I think it works especially well with swamped barrels; you can't go wrong with the verticals!
Real bikes are kick-started....

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 09:16:24 AM »
I agree with Hans.  I've inlet quite a number of swamped barrels using this system.  I got my info from an article by John Bivens.  Good to have you back Hans.  And wonderful to see you working on the Jaeger!!

I mounted my blade to cut on the pull, though.  For me it offers better control.  And I used a piece of an old cross cut saw ( I think).
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 03:46:37 PM »
I inleted a couple dozen barrels with the rail system. Works well.......but, I always thank God I met Fred Miller.... ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

keweenaw

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 07:28:46 PM »
I was thinking the same way as Taylor, that saw would work a lot better as a pull saw than a push saw. 

Tom