Author Topic: Aging suede leather  (Read 8088 times)

Offline A.Merrill

Aging suede leather
« on: August 11, 2011, 01:22:31 AM »
     A friend of mine bought a suede pouch and gun case from TOTW and now he wants to antique or age it ( a well used look ). I told him you guys would know how to get it done.     Thanks guys    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Pete G.

Re: Aging suede leather
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 03:44:05 AM »
Never tried to age suede, but I would imagine some type of waterproofing grease would help knock off the new look.

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 09:46:40 PM »
strong brewed coffee or tea, wlanu dye, or commercial leather dyes will all work for adding stains and age. Then as noted rub in some shoe grease with or without beeswax...

This piece was aged in such a manner and is made from brain tan deer which is sueded both sides - I mostly used coffee and my own dubbin mix which is similar to the commercially available Montana Pitch Blend:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

KennyC

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 06:47:14 AM »
Chuck that is a nice pouch

BrownBear

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 07:29:04 PM »
     A friend of mine bought a suede pouch and gun case from TOTW and now he wants to antique or age it ( a well used look ). I told him you guys would know how to get it done.     Thanks guys    AL

Lend it to a welder or a farrier!!   ;D  Seriously!  My 10-year old welding chaps are "aged" just about right for making a bag.  Same for the shoeing chaps that have been in the family for a couple of generations.  In truth, Chucks method certainly looks better and is a whooooooole lot quicker.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 10:45:18 AM »
    Chuck, thanks for the tip.  That is a fine looking bag.    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 03:45:53 AM »
I found this out by accident using egg yolk, pine soot and brick dust to paint some brain tan.  Me thinks, suede could be similar.  If Mr. Burrow's walnut dye works, well...we are talking same general type.

I painted designs on some braintan; red and black.  Was not satisfied.  Problem being...my braintan item was done!  Cart before the horse? So what to do?  In a fit of despair, I take to the sink when Momma is out and run under the hot water sprayer at the kitchen sink and use one of her old toothbrushes she keeps around for cleaning and...brushed it off.

Looked terrible!  Oh well, start again.

No! 

After it dried it looked like it had been around for half century or so!

FRJ

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 03:10:39 PM »
Why not just let it age naturally? One of my bags is made from a deer I killed 30 some years ago and I made a bag with it about 5 years ago. I use it a lot and don't baby it and it looks well aged. The new look wears off real quick. Frank

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 04:47:32 PM »
Chuck; Well executed aging of a fine looking possibles poke. Thanks, Jim
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.