Author Topic: Original rifles with pistol grips and double set triggers  (Read 4820 times)

Frank Savage

Original rifles with pistol grips and double set triggers
« on: August 12, 2011, 03:50:22 PM »
First, let me apologize if this thread is placed in wrong part of the Forum.

I lost a lot of pictures due to HDD failure and Iīm finding now that I canīt find the rare ones in the internet jungle again. Only the PG Hawken at Cody is easily accesible.

So I want to please You to post here pictures or links to pictures of original pistol grip stocked rifles, especialy those equipped with set triggers. It may be helpful not even to me, since such configuration is quite scarce (I found why the hard way-a LOT of work and things to take care about) and I think they are interesting part of history.
English target rifles are quite outclased here, since their pictures are plentiful and they are single trigger design-but unsual configurations as this:
http://www.henrykrank.com/psr114.html  are welcome.

Thank to all participants for their effort.

Offline Majorjoel

Re: Original rifles with pistol grips and double set triggers
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 07:33:43 PM »
Hello Frank and welcome to the ALR. Here is a picture of one such rifle from my archives.  
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 07:35:41 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Joel Hall

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 10:28:32 PM »
A common misconception about back action locks. They can easily date to the 1830's, as this rifle pretty much verifies.  Philadelphia is one place where pistol-grip stocks were not uncommon. I have a rifle with pistol-grip stock, made by Joseph Butler in Chicago, who worked briefly in Philadelphia , after his arrival from England.  Butler was the son-in-law of James Golcher, the noted Philadelphia gunmaker. Golcher was also from England.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 11:28:36 PM »
I demand high resolution color photos of this rifle LOL.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 04:36:12 AM »
Interesting question, Frank.  I agree it is a rare form. 
Here are photos of a pistol-grip rifle attributed to Wiley G. Higgins of Georgia, probably dating from the late 1830s or early 1840s.

Wayne Elliott

Frank Savage

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 11:59:33 AM »
Interesting, man. I have seen just pistols and long hunting pistols with such "umbrela handle" pistol grips. Didnīt even though about a use on rifle...
Particulary Iīm after rifles mostly of (1840) 1850-1880 manufacture, but no matter-my personal thing. These rifles are worth to collect in one thread anyway.

Here we go:
"Goulcher Percussion Rifle Approx .40 Cal SN:NVSN, Early percussion rifle. Octagon heavy barrel with a black coating applied (maybe paint?), clean iron lock work with engraving, carved wood 1/3 length stock with checkered pistol grip, checkered fore. SN:NVSN"

Link:
http://www.icollector.com/Goulcher-Percussion-Rifle-Approx-40-Cal-SN-NVSN-Early-percussion-rifle-Octagon-heavy-barrel-with_i9568084

Iīll post the picture directly later

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 06:13:32 PM »
Wayne; Thanks for the pictures. I find this rifle of great interest. It would be interesting to find a stock craft person  who may attempt to copy the stock. (hand) Interesting topic of the early attempts at pistol gripped gun stocks. AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline James

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 01:46:23 AM »
Well, this is my new thing for the day. Very interesting.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry