Author Topic: Blown patches cause??  (Read 2997 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Blown patches cause??
« on: September 27, 2011, 02:35:58 AM »
Few wks ago decided to do some bench shooting at 100 yds w my ol Getz cussin gun on 8 ring black bull w good conditions.  A bit dark under the trees; but anyway shot a few 9's at 1 O'clock using 80 3 f goex .454 ball and .017 (or so) teflon on that bl & white striped ticking.  Things went decent then I couldn't find one shot (figured/hoped it was a double.  Fired another out of scoring at 12 o'clock. then another shot just on the paper at 6 o'clock.  I thought what the hey!!  After scratching my 'head' and walking around in circles a bit, I wandered out forward and picked up a few patches.  Most were okay; but a couple were blown.  Odd part was after pondering on them a while I noticed that the patches were blown in the grooves and the lands area held up fine.  I then fired a couple or three shots using .020 patches that appear to be a solid material such as pocket drill.  (tight weave)  They fired just fine on the target and hung together perfectly. They are also teflon coated....

Sooooo, I conclude that the striped ticking is just slightly too loose a WEAVE.  What say you :o ???  Ever run in to this and what was the 'cure'. ???

Daryl

Re: Blown patches cause??
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 03:20:46 AM »
YUP - I've never shot teflon as I refuse to wipe as you know - but - your hypothesis sounds solid.

I had a similar thing happen with my .69 when using a certain white stiped blue denim that Taylor had.  I measured it at .0185" to .019" with the mic, .0215" with my favourite set of calipers. They put 5 consecutive shots on top of each other - a normal 1/2" to 3/4" group on centres at 50 yards using 125gr. of 2F, then open to 4" to 5 in the next 5 shots, the last three of those 5 shots being way out.  Picking up the patches told the story.

The last 3 were blown, so I switched back to my normal .030"(calipers) denim .025"by the mic. and every patch was good after that - to the point I shot another 50 shots that day, with the same 10 patches - 6 shots per patch - picking them up, re-lubing and re-using them. Accuracy remained the same wonderful tight groups, from 125gr.2F to 140gr. 2F under an inch at 50 yards and under 2" at 100 meters(109yds.).

chapmans

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 03:31:17 AM »
Roger,
  Teflon patch is only as good as the material it's sprayed on! I have not been able to find any of the striped ticking that's worth a darn and won't buy teflon if it's sprayed on the striped stuff. I normally only use the .020" teflon but did try some Texas patch that is sprayed on .018 Sunforger canvas that worked well with a .400 ball in my .40 Rice! My friend Bill Rose had trouble with the .018" striped teflon and sent it back to be replaced with .020"
  Regards, Steve

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 04:50:08 PM »
Roger,
  Teflon patch is only as good as the material it's sprayed on! I have not been able to find any of the striped ticking that's worth a darn and won't buy teflon if it's sprayed on the striped stuff. I normally only use the .020" teflon but did try some Texas patch that is sprayed on .018 Sunforger canvas that worked well with a .400 ball in my .40 Rice! My friend Bill Rose had trouble with the .018" striped teflon and sent it back to be replaced with .020"
  Regards, Steve
Bears out my own experience.  Thankee