Author Topic: How Many At Your Shoot Today?  (Read 7660 times)

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
How Many At Your Shoot Today?
« on: August 15, 2011, 07:28:52 AM »
Went to our monthly club shoot today. We located just 10 miles east of Kansas City Mo. Great weather.
About 80, no wind, sunshine. Our club has about 80 members. Had 25 shooters. Really poor to me, from
what we used to have in the past. Only 3 pistol shooters. We run matches at 25 yd, 50 and 100. Rifle.
and two pistol matches, one at 25 yds, and one at 50. Run 7 relays. Is this normal?  For a super day
weather wise, I thought it was a little low. How many do you all get at your shoots?
The Pistol Shooter

Jim Thomas

Re: How Many At Your Shoot Today?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 10:51:31 AM »
For a regular monthly shoot,  30% + of membership actually shooting  would be a good amount at Whispering Pines.   

Members don't shoot at our rondy.  Last year we registered 100 shooters for the 3 day event......which is coming up again next weekend.   I'll be very happy if the number of people supporting us hits 3 digits again this year.    We run a number of events for men, women and juniors.   25,50,100 agg plus reentries .... over the log match... pistol..trade gun, woodswalk, hawkwalk.   Watermellon seed spitting...I think Roger Fisher won it last year.       

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 04:26:37 PM »
For a regular monthly shoot,  30% + of membership actually shooting  would be a good amount at Whispering Pines.   

Members don't shoot at our rondy.  Last year we registered 100 shooters for the 3 day event......which is coming up again next weekend.   I'll be very happy if the number of people supporting us hits 3 digits again this year.    We run a number of events for men, women and juniors.   25,50,100 agg plus reentries .... over the log match... pistol..trade gun, woodswalk, hawkwalk.   Watermellon seed spitting...I think Roger Fisher won it last year.       

One in every bunch seems like! :D

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 04:32:42 PM »
Weather forecast for yesterday was rain rain and more rain.  The weather folks were correct this time.  29 shooters and we shot all day, need not be a member here.  The covered loading tables and firing line paid off that day.  Some stayed fairly dry, some got a bit wet and some got soaked.  Good time and some good shooting....
Paper, smoothy and rifle, chunk, primative silohuettes and breakables 20 to 75 yds.  Happy days :)

Good ol Ollie Solt age 97 was shooting also. (After he dryballed the first load) ;D

Should point out this was at First Frontier Militia of Bowmanstown Gun Club..
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 04:52:50 PM by Roger Fisher »

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 05:30:22 PM »
It's really good to hear about your shoots, guys. 

Rained pretty much all day here, so Taylor and I had breakfast with  my wife and our mom, fixed the sights on my caplock pistol, loaded up ammo for Taylor's Remington .45 Colt and my S/A .38 Long Colt heh,heh, for hefley coming up at the end of the month. Still have to finish up my Chunk prizes. Need finish on the chunk rest's cetnre boards - 1st place prizes - like the ones in the pictures. Handed out 9 of them as prizes last year.

Usually running about 8C here in the morning - that's about 46 or 47F, I'd guess - nice and cool.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 07:28:29 PM »
Out of 10 available shooters, 4 showed up plus one new guy.  I lent him a gun to use and gave him a loading and safety class Sat afternoon.  He had never shot a ML before.  During his training, I had him shoot his load into the ground.  He picked a leaf laying in the grass and hit it.  Now his confidence is high and he's thinking this is going to be a snap.  However, on the Woodswalk Sunday, he only hit 4 of 22 targets.  He was still upbeat and plans to shoot again, but realizes it ain't so easy as he thought.  I gave him the mantra....powder, patch, ball... to impress into his brain.  He said he kept dreaming it overnite and he made it thru the whole walk without dryballing.

I took a .45 cal TN rifle that was finished by not yet fired.  With the sights as set up during the build and no adjustments, I nailed 20 of 22.  I didn't even measure my powder, just filled my field measure (75 gr.) about 1/2 full and shot it.  Will still have to work up a paper load of the bench before I sell it.  Minute of Gong isn't necessarily MOA.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 07:39:11 PM »
Had the whole day to myself out at the future cabin site and got about 80 shots through one of my 40 cals. Late in the afternoon reality came back and I had to go to work-mow the always growing grass but I still call it a great day. Partly sunny, 80 deg. and dry with a slight tail wind made for great shooting and mowing. Summer is stil here but hunting season is coming on too so lots to look forward to.   Best wishes    Smylee

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 08:31:44 PM »
Nobody here shoots any form of traditional or my new love 'target' blackpowder it seems.  I belong to 2 clubs and am thinging of starting a blackpowder interest group or something. (rhode island)

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 09:23:37 PM »
Nobody here shoots any form of traditional or my new love 'target' blackpowder it seems.  I belong to 2 clubs and am thinging of starting a blackpowder interest group or something. (rhode island)
God will have a special place for you on down the road if you start an ML shooting club.  It would be an education for sure.  Been there a few times.  $#*!, get at least 3 same minded shooters together and go do it.  Word will get out and very probably more shooters will come in.  Notice I didn't say certainly ;D

xring2245

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 03:43:43 AM »
Had 11 shooters at Brandywine on Saturday.  Got rained out on the last target.  I'll be posting some pics.

I was going to go up to First Frontier Militia yesterday, but the rain here (45 miles away) was totally horrible and the weather map looked UGLY.  Roger, glad to hear 29 hardcore guys showed up.  Maybe next time I won't wimp out.

James

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 04:07:28 AM »
god may already have a special place for me....just south of him, bit warmer, if I do start one..but I think it needs to be done

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 03:03:10 PM »
We had four shooters on Sunday, and a fifth showed up to pick up his rifle I repaired for him.  He took a few practice shots but he didn't shoot in our monthly match.  However he did hang around and help out where needed.  We normally get 4 to 7 shooters each month from (at one time) a pool of 15 to 17 traditional ML shooters.  Which wasn't (and isn't) bad for a community of just a tad over 1000 population.

No matter how many we get out to shoot each month we still have a great time. :)

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 08:09:46 PM »
Lookin' forward to see how many go to Western Wayne(in plymouth,mi.)this Labor
day. Back in the mid-late 90's,we had over 150 camps and 200+ shooters for the weekend! If I remember correctly,last year was @ 80 camps. Seem's to be a general trend downward in participation. That's fine with me,the less number of people shooting,the better my chances of finishing higher at the end! ::)

Since moving to "Da Yoop" 2 years ago,I really miss the number of opportunities for shooting. No-where near what we have "down below"
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

catman

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 06:49:00 AM »
Just the two of us, on any Saturday or Sunday depending on family to do's.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 08:38:57 AM »
4,dats it.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 06:22:48 PM »
Not my club; but been going there for 31 yrs or some such. Whispering Pines 20 some miles south of Mansfield, Pa.  91 shooters over 3 days.  Up some from last year but still down some from the 125 plus a few yr ago....Nice club, Covered loading tables shoot 25 thru 100 yards, great Mt walk including running deer and running squirrel a little bugger, just caught his hind end.   ::) Happy times. ;D

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 06:32:37 PM »
Glad to hear it, Roger- we'll be heading for Helfey Creek (Rendezvous 2011) on Friday.

ken

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 10:23:12 PM »
When Roger said he got that critter in the hind end he didnot mention it was by JUST a half of the ball Still fine shooting. We had a lot of fun.  :D

Jim Thomas

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 05:18:42 AM »
As the "Pines" President,  I would like to  thank Roger and Ken (everyone else also) for coming out and supporting the club.  All of us enjoy putting on the rondy.  Roger is out there punching holes in paper from the first to the last relay everyday.  Impressive!    

For those wondering about the critter.  The steel squirrel silhouette stands on another steel plate that uses ball bearings for wheels and runs along a wooden track.   The track is located behind a log with just the squirrel visable.  A slightly downhill shot....  he is a favorite.  
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 11:22:15 AM by Jim Thomas »

leadslinger62

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 06:21:26 AM »
   Pretty good showing at The Jefferson County Longrifle`s shoot on Sunday. On the way up, rained like crazy. Shoot started, Paper instead of Mt. Man /Woodswalk, Sun came out and was nice. As soon as the shoot was over, here came the Rain again. Really tough Targets. Winner shot a 74 out of a possible 150!!