Author Topic: True antique M'loader ?  (Read 4684 times)

Smithow

True antique M'loader ?
« on: August 16, 2011, 03:13:06 AM »
I have received my 4X Ggrandfather's rifle that he carried in the Revolution. It has been converted to percussion. It has a elongated octagon shaped patchbox, octagon barrel, dbl set trigger. The barrel is marked XX SCOTT. supposedly Robert Elliott came from PA and settled in SW Virginia. Any help identifying this "rifle gun" would be greatly appreciated.

Howard M. Smith

greybeard

Re: True antique M'loader ?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 03:18:19 AM »
Do you have pictures ?????

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 05:43:37 AM »
By all means, post pictures and dimensions and you will get some good input here.  Different topic- I am also interested in your Elliotts coming from Pennsylvania to SW Virginia.
Wayne Elliott
Wayne Elliott

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 05:28:57 PM »
I'm with Wayne - would love to see photos.  If you cannot post them please forward some to one of us and we can help.  The "TinyPics" option is fairly simple - here is a link to a tutorial - the Tiny Pics option is described in the second posting in this tutorial.

Two general shots, one showing showing each side of the gun from from the lock area back to the buttplate, are a good place to start.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

Thanks

Guy Montfort
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:31:40 PM by G-Man »

Smithow

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:25:35 PM »
I do not have the rifle at this time, it's just a matter of my picking it up.....then I'll be able to send digital photos. All I have right now are B&W prints.  I thought the "SCOTT" name on the barrel might help. PLEASE ask any questions about the trigger guard, sights, etc and I'll try to describe as best I can. DIGITAL photos might be available in a short while.

Smithow

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 12:30:13 AM »
If the B&W prints are good you can scan them at any Ritz type photo shop or Target store and get digital images.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 03:31:58 PM »
I agree, get the B&W prints digitized if possible, because without pictures we're just shooting in the dark.
The name SCOTT as a maker doesn't ring a bell with me. Maybe it wll with one of the other guys.

What year was your 4X grandfather born?

Looking forward to your pictures,
John
John Robbins

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 09:36:41 PM »
No less than 25 "Scott"s are known American gunmakers.
Hurricane