Author Topic: Wide butt plates  (Read 5643 times)

Offline Longknife

Wide butt plates
« on: November 07, 2008, 07:05:59 PM »
I am looking for a WIDE rifle style butt plate like the one on the Schreit rifle that measures 2 3/16. I have one of the TOTW #BP-K-5-B that measures 2 1/8 but after cleaning it up its a bit  narrower and I am sure to loose a little more in the finishing process, so where can I get one that will finish out at 2 3/16---pluss??THANKS, Ed
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 09:20:39 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: Wide butt plates
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 07:34:42 PM »
Get "the Blob" from Reeves Goehring.  A large blank buttplate. 

I also have one of the "marshall" buttplates from Chambers (it's different from the one from Track and others).  It's pretty wide.  I don't have it in front of me, but I think it's about 2 1/4".
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Longknife

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 09:22:07 PM »
Chris, Sorry i meant the SHREIT rifle, I changed it on my original post!!!! Thanks, Ed
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 09:23:06 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 12:33:45 AM »
I've got a very large one I made from brass plate.  That works.  It's about 2 and 1/4" wide x 5 and a halk inches tall.   But the blob is what you need unless there's one of Reeves' that has the right bend at the heel and general shape of the forward extension.  All of Reeves' buttplates can be peened to make them wider or longer.  It is not difficult to get an additional 20% length or width by peening.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 05:00:22 PM »
You can do all kinds of things with "the blob":

A good Schreidt buttplate may be made out of the "5K" sand cast brass buttplate.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

don getz

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 05:23:18 PM »
Chris....nice clean carving on that gun, like it.   I also like the angle of that buttplate, they are so much more comfortable
with that flat, or slightly undercut angle...........Don

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 07:36:10 PM »
The Dickert guns are angled like that.  I had to bend out the buttplate surface, inlet the tang down, then bend the buttplate back forward.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 12:37:00 AM »
I like your carving too.  Any chance of seeing more photos of the gun?  Tang, wrist, patchbox side maybe?

Thanks and regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 01:52:16 AM »
I like your carving too.  Any chance of seeing more photos of the gun?  Tang, wrist, patchbox side maybe?

Thanks and regards,
Pletch

I second that. What you have showen is very nice looking.

Thanks, Tim C.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 02:07:50 AM »
Stophel runs under the radar most of the time but it's always a treat to see his work.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 05:09:33 AM »
Here's the gun:

www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Flintlocks/Dickert

You can do all kinds of things with that buttplate.  Beat it, bend it, shape it just might near any way you want.  Aah, the beauties of dead soft brass.

I prefer to stay under the radar... ;)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 05:16:38 AM by Stophel »