Author Topic: Brandywine Shoot - Saturday 13 August (PHOTOS)  (Read 5726 times)

xring2245

Brandywine Shoot - Saturday 13 August (PHOTOS)
« on: August 16, 2011, 03:56:07 AM »
Well, it started out as a great day.  Four hours later, we were rained out.  We were able to shoot seven of the eight targets scheduled for the day.  Eleven shooters and the shootmaster and his three helpers were in tow as well.  Here are a few pics...

The usual suspects...

Jim Shomper chowing down on some chili.

Shootmaster Joe Coakley was enjoying his chili while eyeing the pineapple upside-down cake.

Charlie showing off one of the targets for the day's shoot.  It resembles a roll of toilet paper.

Fred Long going to an important meeting

Monica Wright prepared lunch - chili and pineapple upside-down cake.  Both were excellent!

More to come.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:58:00 AM by xring2245 »

xring2245

Re: Brandywine Shoot - Saturday 13 August (More PHOTOS)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 04:07:27 AM »
The targets

Mike Amico's hat was fair game, but no one would cross Mike.

Some targets were downright challenging.  The wind didn't help either.

I was using a .500 RB in my .50 cal. flintlock, but it shot a little low and right.  At least it was consistent.

Overlapping targets.  This was our seventh, and last, target before the rain drenched us all.

Jim Shomper did not find these targets to be easy.

More to come...

xring2245

Re: Brandywine Shoot - Saturday 13 August (More PHOTOS)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 04:21:37 AM »
Here are the last few.  One thing I can say about the shoots at Brandywine... they are a lot of fun and I never know what to expect.

Ralph and Jim Hickman's loading stands

This is what happens when someone forgets to take the ramrod out of the muzzle.  The shooter was knocked on his you-know-what and the gun went flying.  The ramrod passed completely through the backer board.

Mike Amico cleaning his drenched flintlock.  I waited until I got home.  It was a chore.

Joe Coakley, Monica Wright, and her daughter hand out the awards.  There was London broil, Italian sausage, hamburger patties, and hot dogs.

Next shoot is the second Saturday of September.  Everyone is invited to shoot.

James

Offline alyce-james

Re: Brandywine Shoot - Saturday 13 August (PHOTOS)
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 04:40:52 AM »
It appears a great day was had by all. I liked the shooting stands. Thanks for the pictures. AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 05:03:05 AM »
I like the four targets that  rotate in the wind . I might use that idea at our shoot.Could you show us a full view of your rifle stands? It looks like a good one to use at a chunk match. It looks like your club has a good time shooting and the chow looks top notch . Keep up the good work.

xring2245

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 05:23:10 AM »
Could you show us a full view of your rifle stands?

This is the only other photo I have and it is only of the upper part -

I hope this helps.

James

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 06:17:48 PM »
James thanks for the pictures - always a BIG pleasure seeing other peoples pictures. I also like those individual loading 'stands'. Good idea.  When we shoot on Sundays, usually 50 to 80 shots, we all load out of our bags and most use the rifle's rod.  It does make loading easier (I'm too lazy to remove the rifle's rod at times) if a range-rod can be used and I pack one along sometimes on the trail.

Supplying a lunch is an exellent idea, of course. Makes my mouth water just thinking of it. The ramrod pic- too funny- bet he doesn't do that again. One thing about those, they don't kick as much if it's a hickory rod. Is the lower hole in the target from the ball that was below the rod's end? Good group to the end of the rod (jag end), if so.

Twisting target's nasty- good idea, though. Do you or would you score holes from the blank side?

xring2245

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 06:48:47 PM »
James thanks for the pictures - always a BIG pleasure seeing other peoples pictures. I also like those individual loading 'stands'. Good idea.  When we shoot on Sundays, usually 50 to 80 shots, we all load out of our bags and most use the rifle's rod. 

The ramrod pic- too funny- bet he doesn't do that again. One thing about those, they don't kick as much if it's a hickory rod. Is the lower hole in the target from the ball that was below the rod's end?

Twisting target's nasty- good idea, though. Do you or would you score holes from the blank side?

It seems that for range shoots, everyone prefers to work from a shooting box or stand.  I see this at all the shoots I attend.  For woodswalks, however, it is loading from the bag.  Many of us will carry a "wiping stick" or range rod for the ease in loading.  It also saves the rifles's rod too.

As far as scoring goes, I am not sure if holes from the back are scored.  It seems that every windmill target had a few holes that came in from the back.

Glad you likes the pics.  I usually take my camera to most shoots.

James

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 07:16:14 PM »
James thanks for the pictures - always a BIG pleasure seeing other peoples pictures. I also like those individual loading 'stands'. Good idea.  When we shoot on Sundays, usually 50 to 80 shots, we all load out of our bags and most use the rifle's rod. 

The ramrod pic- too funny- bet he doesn't do that again. One thing about those, they don't kick as much if it's a hickory rod. Is the lower hole in the target from the ball that was below the rod's end?

It seems that for range shoots, everyone prefers to work from a shooting box or stand.  I see this at all the shoots I attend.  For woodswalks, however, it is loading from the bag.  Many of us will carry a "wiping stick" or range rod for the ease in loading.  It also saves the rifles's rod too.

As far as scoring goes, I am not sure if holes from the back are scored.  It seems that every windmill target had a few holes that came in from the back.

Glad you likes the pics.  I usually take my camera to most shoots.

James
These photos @!*% good idea and others can find a thing or two to use at and maybe improve their 'operation'.   A word on that 'most guys like to load out of their shooting box."   Another local club had set up a slick woodswalk on a trail up thru a wooded hollow with hemlocks in there a good 30" at the butt.  Just great and we cut shooting lanes and all of that.  Worked out fine and the walk was held during the 1 day shoots.  Was around 12 shots.  As time went on less and less shooters did the walk.  So, we moved the targets down the hollow nearer to the paper range, didn't have much participation improvement.  I had to go eyeball to eyeball with each shooter at the main range.  "Are your going to do the w walk?" Some did more did not. Finally moved the silohuettes and swingers and and and onto the paper range. (safely set in front of the dirt embankments) Still had to hit up every shooter to try to get them to shoot the match! ::)  It finally died due to no interest.  May try it again as the shooters change - different strokes for different folks!! 

Seems like once the shooters get set up at a loading table boxes, clamps, scopes etc they hate like $#*! to move.    We just might try that again on the main range, still have the silohuettes... ;D

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 07:19:13 PM »
And another thingeee..  The shooters were hammering on the rentrie paper targets and did not want to use up the time away from that goings on to do the w walk... :)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 07:34:42 PM »
That is definitely not a problem for our group.  We do not shoot from the covered range, which is the centre fire range.  All of our shooting is from the designated black powder range, and there are no benches.  When we want to do some target shooting, we use the field below our camping area, and set up a temporary table/bench, and portable target stands.  But the trail is our focus, and we are all on the same page.  Even at the annual rendezvous at Heffley Creek, there is only one or two events during the ten days, that is a paper punching event.  I guess that's three events, now that Daryl hosts the chunk shoot.  But shooters still load from there hunting pouches.  The squirrel match features a ten shot trail with steel squirrel targets, plus a paper squirrel target at the end of the trail with ten shots...only head shots score.
I enjoyed seeing your pictures...thanks for posting them.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

xring2245

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 09:11:13 PM »
That is definitely not a problem for our group.  We do not shoot from the covered range, which is the centre fire range.  All of our shooting is from the designated black powder range, and there are no benches.    But the trail is our focus, and we are all on the same page.  Even at the annual rendezvous at Heffley Creek, there is only one or two events during the ten days, that is a paper punching event.  I guess that's three events, now that Daryl hosts the chunk shoot.  But shooters still load from there hunting pouches.  The squirrel match features a ten shot trail with steel squirrel targets, plus a paper squirrel target at the end of the trail with ten shots...only head shots score.

Too bad your shoots weren't closer; I'd be there in a heartbeat. 

Hey Roger, think we can get a few chaps to carpool out to BC for a shoot?

James

Leatherbelly

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 09:19:14 PM »
   Ya! Do it!

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 10:48:11 PM »
Exactly!!

Taylor didn't mention that the shoot, Rendezvous 20?? is always a 10 day shoot.

Every day, different clubs sponser matches - as Taylor noted, only 2 or 3 are paper shoots- the rest are all trail walks.

If the weather is not too dry, some are in the bush but others out in the open along a long line. Shooting usually starts @ 0900hrs. and goes all day.

There will be up to 150 people 'walking the line of targets' along the trail.

Gail and Dave Rase from this site have been there & hopefully they'll be there again this year.  My wife wants to meet them.  There are a number of friends from Oregon and Washington State who attend, each year.

All are Welcome - we'd love to have y'al come.