Author Topic: Building a double barreled pistol with Manton Locks  (Read 36476 times)

Big One

Building a double barreled pistol with Manton Locks
« on: August 16, 2011, 09:40:10 PM »
Hi all,I am new here.
I have bought two Manton locks for a double pistol I am building.
The one frizzen spring is very soft and the other frizzen do not fit the pan very good.
Could someone please tell me if another company makes the same lock or the same size lock in a left and a right hand ?
I expected the L&R locks to work fine in the state I have recieved them,or not ?
Thank you
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:23:57 PM by JvR »

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Re: L&R Manton locks
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 11:28:50 PM »
Sounds you got a couple of poorly made locks. I've buildt 3 pistols with those locks. The only thing I had to with them was polish them.
I'd return the locks and ask for new ones that work acceptable.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 11:34:55 PM »
Hi all,I am new here.
I have bought two Manton locks for a double pistol I am building.
The one frizzen spring is very soft and the other frizzen do not fit the pan very good.
Could someone please tell me if another company makes the same lock or the same size lock in a left and a right hand ?
I expected the L&R locks to work fine in the state I have recieved them,or not ?
Thank you
Johan
Call them about the quality. I feel sure that they will take care of the situation. Don't do anything to them until you talk to L & R about them. They stand behind their products.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Big One

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 02:37:26 AM »
I was told to put a file to the pan,by L&R (Tim).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:24:08 PM by JvR »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 02:44:52 AM »
Did you show them the photo?
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Big One

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 03:02:53 AM »
Dennis thank you,I sure did !
Problem is,I live "over the pond" so shipping back and forward can be costly,I think that might also be a factor why I was told to file the pan.

Dave K

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 03:48:50 AM »
Sorry, I would send them back. Both of them and tell them you want 2 that match. I am sure postage is still cheaper than new locks.

Offline Habu

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 05:20:53 AM »
Welcome to ALRA!

Unless you have experience tuning locks (doesn't sound like it) or someone who can show you what you need to do, I think your best bet to do as Dave suggested and return the locks, asking for a matched set that actually work right.  Though with shipping (and probably Customs) added on, that might cost almost as much as another lock . . .   

It almost looks like the hole in that frizzen was drilled too far back, moving the frizzen forward.  You could try filing it off, but a replacement frizzen might be a better option.  On a double, you want the frizzens aligned when open and closed. 

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
Jim

Offline Glenn

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 05:29:40 AM »
HOWDY ... Welcome to ALR !!!

Definitely send the locks back for replacements.  They should also honor the shipping.  I'd e-mail them and get something in writing about filing the pan(s).  Get something in writing then try what they tell you.  If that does not work then ship them back to them with a copy of the e-mail and ask them to honor the shipping on a sub-standard product.  Let us know how they treat you.  If they don't honor their products I won't buy from them.
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 09:28:34 AM »
JvR,

Welcome to the forum! I hope those rioting... people, didn't bother with you or yours.

I double what Glen says. In our small community, we expect quality companies to produce, inspect, and deliver quality products. L&R has a substantial and extensive history with the ML community, and I suspect that they will certainly honor their Warranty with your products.

Under the circumstances, I feel that they should reimburse you your shipping costs to the US also.

Best regards,
Albert “The Afghan” Rasch
Traditional Methods of Waterproofing Fabric
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Big One

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 10:44:59 AM »
Thank you for your comments,this was the last word I had with L&R:

To: L & R Lock
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:03 AM
Subject: Re: PAN FITMENT

Hi Tim

I have looked at the problem from all the angles,the frizzen was fitted to far forward and at an angle the inside been higher.I would not put a file to the pan,it is the frizzen that need to be replaced.I am willing to pay for a new frizzen.

Thanks
J
----- Original Message -----
To: jvr
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:59 PM
Subject: Re: PAN FITMENT

Hi J

I am sorry that this lock got out without us fixing that gap, but the best way to fix that problem is to remove frizzen and file the pan on the side where the frizzen is touching.lower the outside of the pan until the frizzen rests flat.Again I apologize for our oversite.

Thanks
Tim

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 9:45 AM,

Hi Tim

Can you help me fix the pan to frizzen fitment on this lock please,from the last shipment you send me.

Thanks
J

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:38:43 AM by JvR »

Big One

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 10:54:25 AM »
Welcome to ALRA!

Unless you have experience tuning locks (doesn't sound like it) or someone who can show you what you need to do, I think your best bet to do as Dave suggested and return the locks, asking for a matched set that actually work right.  Though with shipping (and probably Customs) added on, that might cost almost as much as another lock . . .   

It almost looks like the hole in that frizzen was drilled too far back, moving the frizzen forward.  You could try filing it off, but a replacement frizzen might be a better option.  On a double, you want the frizzens aligned when open and closed. 

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
Jim
My point exactly!

Big One

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 01:01:59 PM »

It seems like a casting flaw in the top corner of the hole ?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:27:12 PM by JvR »

Dave K

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 04:11:58 PM »
Again, I would send them back. You didn't buy or expect to receive a pair of locks that are like a kit and need to be refit. Mistakes can be made by anyone when it comes to making locks. It is how they resolve it, that makes them honorable.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 05:19:17 PM »
Return the locks and receive what you paid for, QUALITY or full refund. Jim
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 05:04:59 AM »
I would send them back. I have used several L&R locks and they  have all been top shelf. I am surprised that these locks made it out the door with both issues you have shown us. That cock should have never been put on a finished lock. They will stand by their product. You want to start your project with as few snags as possible IMHO.
Dave Blaisdell

Big One

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 03:16:59 PM »
L&R did get back to me after a while and they will replace the lock and parts.
Thank you for your input.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 04:13:46 PM »
Good to hear!

Reputable companies will usually do the right thing and this was no exception. Now I have learned of a source for Manton locks which is a very good thing!

Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Wild Pigs: Not Tough Enough to Face Ol' King Coal

Offline Glenn

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 06:03:33 PM »
Glad to hear this has been resolved.  Please keep us informed of the developments of your project.   ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 06:59:37 PM »
Glad to hear that you didn't let them rest til they squared away the problem.. I wonder how much of their lock work is farmed out  ???  Anyone here know?

Big One

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 10:43:05 PM »
Here goes my Manton double barrel flint pistol.

Crowning the barrels

Tapping for breach plugs

Grinding flats to mate the barrels

Nice fit,barrels are now parallel

9 inches long,1,5 degree taper,62 cal

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 10:47:01 PM »
Looks good !! Did you get your barrel tubes from Blackley?

Best regards
Rolf

Big One

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 10:49:52 PM »
Rolf no, it is drilled EN8.

Big One

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 11:50:10 PM »

Clamping the barrels flat for welding

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 11:53:25 PM »
I thought they should be brazed or soldered as welding would risk warping them?
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana