Author Topic: Civilian use of cartridge boxes  (Read 5275 times)

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
Civilian use of cartridge boxes
« on: November 07, 2008, 11:20:01 PM »
I love all of the bags on this site. (I acutally bought some leather and am in the market for a book.)
But I don't believe that I have seen a civilian cartridge box. With these being issued in all of the wars using muzzle loaders, I would think some civilians would use them and have their own versions of them.
Are there civilian versions of cartridge boxes?
Thanks in advance,
Rick
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Re: Civilian use of cartridge boxes
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 12:40:42 AM »
I love all of the bags on this site. (I acutally bought some leather and am in the market for a book.)
But I don't believe that I have seen a civilian cartridge box. With these being issued in all of the wars using muzzle loaders, I would think some civilians would use them and have their own versions of them.
Are there civilian versions of cartridge boxes?
Thanks in advance,
Rick

Rick,

To  see civilian cartridge boxes you would only have to look at Militia cartridge boxes and cartridge pouches of the time period. Some militia cartridge boxes were made to order and provided to militiamen, but, I believe, others were brought with the individual militiamen when they mustered in.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

timM

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 08:38:53 PM »
Here is an interesting accoutrement. Not what first comes to mind when you think cartridge box, but interesting all the same. Their are remnant belt loops on the back

I would like to hear comments and opinions as to origin and age.  tim

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 11:03:01 PM »
Folks from all eras tend to like practical stuff. If someone found a military cartridge box handy when he was serving, he might want something similar when he got out. There is a reason Military calibers have usually become popular sporting calibers soon afterwards, because they work pretty well. If governments sold off surplus during the era then I would bet many took advantage of the bargains, and got the stuff.
Psalms 144

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 08:00:16 AM »
i dont know about that cartidge box you posted but it reminds me of so called 'apostles" used on a bandoleer for matchlocks wheellocks and that era of arms. maybe a "modern" version of something that a mid 18th century maker saw in his grand daddys stuff? it certainly is interesting, any chance we can get more picks and maybe a ruler or something for size comp?
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared

Offline Collector

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 04:38:37 AM »
1800's - Swedish.  How close am I ?/?  :P

bryanbrown

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 05:02:14 AM »
Please keep in mind, if you had a cartridge box for your milita duty you kept it at home with "60 rounds of ball & powder.  And a well scoured bayonet or tomahawk" (from Crown regulations for Militia 1750).  Now part of your "training" was to use this powder and ball to hunt.  You tended to claim the powder "lost due to water" and draw new issue periodically. 

Also regulars and militia who have served their commitment and been released by the Crown, they kept their issued arms as part of their payout. If they were paid in land for their service as well, it tended to be on the frontier.  Giving you trained experienced cadre for your local militia there to keep order.

So long story short, at least up to the late 1780s cartidge boxes in "civilian hands" are not uncommon.  The Crown "collecting" some of this equipment was what drove events such as the "battle road" in New England (Lexington and Concorde)

titanicslim

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 09:40:55 AM »
Do those tubes contain one chamber or is there a division?   It looks to me like 19th century sporting gear, like to contain charges or shot.  How big are they?