Author Topic: Massachusetts Fowler  (Read 7208 times)

timM

Massachusetts Fowler
« on: November 08, 2008, 03:33:15 AM »
I'm thinking that some of you guys like smooth bores.  I believe this New England Fowler was built by John Mason.

tim

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Massachusetts Fowler
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 04:37:30 AM »
Tim
Thanks for posting this!!!I'm finishing up a John Mason rifle at the moment.It's patterned after one in my collection.I have a soft spot for these New England guns.I really like to see the forestock moulding,pretty rare in  these guns.Any dimentions that you could post would be most appretiated!!!

THANKS Again!!
Mitch
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 04:38:36 AM by tallbear »

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 05:35:32 AM »
Tim.
Thanks for posting this piece. I am becoming more intriqued with the smooth bores and hope to build one for turkey's be fore too long. I like the lines of it.
I have seen the butt plate with that hump at where the lower butt plate screw is positioned on some french fowlers. A very nice piece.
Dave B
Dave Blaisdell

longrifle

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 05:36:15 AM »
That is really a nice one !!!  

Offline Longknife

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 03:30:32 PM »
Tim, We don't like 'em, We LOVE 'EM I am assuming thats cherry wood? and when was Mason building guns? Real NEET!!!!....THANKS, Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 04:23:41 PM »
A lovely fowler. I find Mason's work very attractive. I had a similar fowler years ago, so similar that at first I thought you might be the current owner but I can see a few small differences. He also made rifles (I have one of those) and a very attractive "Buck & Ball" gun with a heavy round barrel but a fowler-like roman nose stock. All of them very graceful.

don getz

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 05:33:35 PM »
Wow, neat fowler.  Picture of the muzzle and nose cap.....looks like the barrel was shortened at some point.....was it?
Don

timM

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 08:17:59 PM »
Mitch,....Here are some RCA measurements that may be useful.  Let me know if I can get you anything else that might be of interest.  B - 42'.......C - 14 1/4".......D - .970.......E - 1.70".......F - 4 7/8".......H - 1.260.......I - 1.475.......K - 5.50.......q - .50
I would like to see your J. Mason when you are finished.

Ed,....I'm pretty sure it is cherry.  References show John Mason 1775 -1843.  I suspect he might have started building guns just before 1800.

Don,....good eye!  Other of this school seem to have barrels predominately in the high 40" range to about the middle 50" range? 

John Mason was an apprentice of Thomas Holbrook, (1747-1810) who was one of the influential master of the area.  In turn John Mason was the master of the famous Mass. rifle maker Silas Allen Jr.  I personally enjoy the master - apprentice relationships and how the styles and details evolved. tim

Offline Longknife

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 01:41:35 AM »
Tim, if its not to much trouble could you post a pic' of the butt plate extension??? Thanks for letting us enjoy trhis fine fowler!. Ed

P.S. I noticed a tiny hole drilled in the front trigger guard ext. I have an english fowler circa 1810 that also has a tiny hole in the front ext. I had assumed that someone had drilled it there (at a later date) to secure the guard and the tiny screw was lost what do you think???
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 01:58:04 AM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

timM

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 04:46:16 AM »
Ed,.......you are welcome!  I'm glad you have enjoyed it.  The hole in the TG extension did have a brass nail.

tim

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 04:49:54 AM »
Tim
Thanks so much.The measurements are great.I will post some pics of the rifle when it's done.Just finished the silver wire work,engraveing is next!!Thanks for taking the time to share this info!!!!!

Mitch

Michael

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 03:47:19 PM »
Interesting detail the way the ramrod pipe is double pinned near each end and the barrel wedges pass through the stock at the center of the pipes.

Michael

don getz

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 07:04:22 PM »
I noticed the same thing about the pipes being double pinned, with the barrel wedge right in the middle of each pipe...
very interesting.  The reason I thought the barrel may have been shortened is the crude way in which the stock terminates at the muzzle, also the fact that the front ramrod pipe is so close to the muzzle.  Anyone else notice that the
lock is very similar to Jim's Late Ketland lock.  Overall, a nice gun........Don