Author Topic: Type G Trade Guns (Bumford style trade gun)  (Read 4407 times)

J1776

Type G Trade Guns (Bumford style trade gun)
« on: August 24, 2011, 12:09:02 AM »
In regards to the barrels on original Type G trade guns,..

Do all the "known" surviving originals have double bands on the barrels where they transition to round, or are there single bands seen on barrels as well?
AND,...
is the forward most band just filed into the round? (as I know most were only filed into the top section of the barrels, rather than turned all the way around like a colerain oct/round barrel for example.

This will help determine where I want to go with the one I'm gathering info and parts for to build for myself.

Thanks fellas!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:58:43 AM by JShip1776 »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Type G Trade Guns (Bumford style trade gun)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 12:28:14 AM »
My impression is that they did not have barrel bands, but rather were pinned to the stock. The 'G' guns at Willliamsburg are built with pins, as is my Jack Brooks copy of one of the W'burg pieces, the one with the inked decorations.
I can't think of any English guns with bands; they seem to have been Continental in use for the most part. Just my recollections. On the other hand, are you referring to the 'wedding band' transition on the barrel? Couldn't quite tell from the inquiry.
My Brooks bench copy does not have a weddng band and that suggests that the original did not either. The corners of the octagonal portion merely disappear onto the round part. Least expensive way to go, I guess. Hope that any of this make sense. I'm 74 today and things do get a little hazy now and then.
Dick

J1776

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 03:00:45 AM »
No, I wasn't taking about barrel bands like you're thinking of,.. I'm actually talking around the bands (rings) on the barrels themselves where they transition from octagon to round.  I know the Bumford one has the double rings/bands about three inches apart from each other, but I'm not finding any photos or info on if there were original examples of them with only one set of these?

Thanks though.... ;)

dannybb55

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 12:23:16 AM »
Go to Clay Smith's web sight and ask him, He has direct access to the Bumford gun at CW. Mike Brooks also makes a nice Type G kit and he is the man when it comes to making a living off of smooth bores. Another name that pops up is Ben Coogle in Georgia. He has come across many  fragments and parts digging around in the country and he can make any barrel that you need, up to 70 inches long, I think. bencoogle@alltel.net.
 Didn't these early trade guns have 4 foot barrels or so?