Author Topic: Corks.........?  (Read 5996 times)

Macon Due

Corks.........?
« on: August 24, 2011, 12:38:40 AM »
Hey Guys
Does anyone have suggestions for where I can find some corks? I want to use small glass bottles for patch lube ,to be carried in shot pouch and need a source of corks to use as stoppers.
Thanks......Macon

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Corks.........?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 12:43:35 AM »
Macon,
I bought a bag of them, assorted sizes, from Hobby Lobby or some such place. Most craft stores will have them.
Mark
Mark

david50

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 01:17:52 AM »
got mine from the local hardware store,you might try Home Depot or some place such as that

Macon Due

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 01:21:57 AM »
smokin & david........thank you guys! I was having a brainfart.........
Macon

Macon Due

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 02:54:38 AM »
Wine corks are WAYYYYYYYYY too big!
Macon

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 05:33:02 AM »
The Ace Hardware store here keeps a drawer full of different sizes.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline JDK

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 05:50:01 AM »
I'm in Mr. Russell's camp here.  Drink the wine then cut the corks down.  They are easy to cut with a sharp knife and you can get several small one's out of one wine cork.  Just wait 'til the next day before ya start carvin' 'em.  ;)

J.D.K.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 07:08:35 PM »
No matter where you get it from, take the time to reinforce it a bit and it wont snap off in the bottle neck...I just use a long cotter key pushed through a pin hole drilled through the center (top to bottom) of the cork....then I
slide a tiny washer over the protruding key, bend and secure and trim the excess. Add a ring to the top of the key and there you go...a cork you will always be able to pull.
tc
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Black Hand

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 07:58:55 PM »
No matter where you get it from, take the time to reinforce it a bit and it wont snap off in the bottle neck...I just use a long cotter key pushed through a pin hole drilled through the center (top to bottom) of the cork....then I
slide a tiny washer over the protruding key, bend and secure and trim the excess. Add a ring to the top of the key and there you go...a cork you will always be able to pull.
tc

So.......You take a cork (used to keep liquid in) and drill a hole through the center of it?  Seems like a recipe for disaster (and leakage) to me, especially when you push a cotter-pin through it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:00:38 PM by Black Hand »

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 08:19:19 PM »
Ahhh, forgot to add....wax the cork end. Sorry.

I didnt invent the trick, its an old one similar to what ive seen done for pocket flasks in the way back days when a cork could break in an actual pocket...an old one I examined actually used a long thin theaded eye bolt instead of a cotter key, and had a matching gromet that it threads into on the other end. You can then tighten up the cork (bulging it in the center) with the finger ring attached to the eye bolt so that it is actually more water tight than a loose dried out cork might otherwise be...again, its a trick used on old pocket flasks.
tc

"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Hangfire

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 05:11:31 AM »
I bought corks from www.widgetco.com. Had a variety.

JohnnyM

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 03:30:01 PM »
I encourage the drinking of good wine (in moderation, of course... there is nothing worse than a red wine hangover :P) However, many wines now come with artificial corks, yes, even high-end quality wines.
Here's another source for real corks:
http://www.sciplus.com/search.cfm?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=search&utm_content=cf&utm_campaign=celsearchtest&formfield1234567891=3&formfield1234567892=8&formfield1234567894=&term=corks&btnHand.x=0&btnHand.y=0

American Science & Surplus

Vino vitae,
Johnny

BrownBear

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 06:13:30 PM »
While I've seen very old flasks with exactly the same setup TC describes, I never liked the method.  Just personal taste.  Flying off "the other side" of the correctness question, I've reinforced mine with dowel. 

Just use a sharp bit and drill the hole in the cork slowly to minimize tearing.  Lightly break the edges of the dowel to prevent hang-ups and tearing, then put wood glue on the dowel and push into place.  The glue acts as a lube and the dowel pushes in easily, even if slightly oversize.  Push the end of the dowel just past the bottom of the cork and sand back to flush with the cork.  You can leave some dowel exposed above the cork and ring it for attaching a thong or chain.

Real simple job.  But historically accurate?  I dunno.  Not my concern.

Offline James

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 04:42:10 AM »
I'm in Mr. Russell's camp here.  Drink the wine then cut the corks down.  They are easy to cut with a sharp knife and you can get several small one's out of one wine cork.  Just wait 'til the next day before ya start carvin' 'em.  ;)

J.D.K.

No need to wait till the next day, the pieces left over from the carving job can be used to stop the bleeding.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 05:24:42 AM »
sounds like the voice of experience to me...

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 04:38:48 PM »
smokin & david........thank you guys! I was having a brainfart.........
Macon

Easy to reduce the size of corks. Rasp them to rough size and smooth with different grip papers. (They don't grow in those little sizes) I use wine corks for a lot of things I've even fixed fishing rod grips with wine corks. I never throw wine corks away unless they are those plastic things.

Macon Due

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 06:10:28 PM »
Thanks everyone,I found just what I needed at Westlakes.
Macon