Author Topic: J. Hillegas  (Read 4712 times)

Joanne

J. Hillegas
« on: August 27, 2011, 01:35:36 PM »
I have been trying to identify a Kentucky I just purchased.  It has been suggested by a knowledgeable friend that it is by J. Hillegas, but from what I have read in the ALR forum, his signature was done in block printing, and had his full name.  The rifle I have simply has J H, or what looks like JH in script on the barrel, and what I call a snake decoration also on the barrel.  Does anyone have a Hillegas with the initials in script?  Also, I forget, but is there a way to send photos to ALR's forum...that might help ID the rifle.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Joanne

Re: J. Hillegas
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 04:56:43 PM »
I just uploaded 5 photos to photobucket....or at least I tried...it has been ages since I used photobucket and I may not have done it right.  Two photos are of an odd rifle/shotgun I am trying to identify, and three are of the Kentucky someone thought might be a Hillegas.  I don't think they are correct, but maybe someone will recognize it and let me know.
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm82/JCinPA/

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 05:22:23 PM »
Here you go;

John Robbins

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 07:02:30 PM »
The Hillegas family collects their family's rifles.   I can put you in touch with them
if you should choose to sell the rifle.  The are in western PA.  Thanks.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 07:35:56 PM »
Sweet rifle, I really like the condition.  ;D

FK

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 09:40:27 PM »
A very pretty rifle and in good condition. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. In looking at the photos,  I don't see a strong association with Joseph Hillegas, however. To my eye, it looks more like a possible Harrisburg gun, with the patchbox style, and the checkered wrist.  Sellars lists two 'J.H.' makers, and others with three initials beginning with 'J' and ending with 'H.' He doesn't say more than that; too bad!
I own a J. Hillegas swivel breech, a fine one, and the name is on the top barrel in stamped letters. There is no similarity between these two rifles that comes to mind.
A good example of a Hillegas rifle is shown on page 150 in the book Kentucky Rifles and Pistols, 1750-1850. That gun pretty much typifies the style and work of Hillegas, particularly with regard to the patchbox style, architecture, and triggerguard. Thanks again.
Dick

Joanne

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 01:23:01 AM »
Thank to JTR for posting my photos as well as  fullstock longrifle, Suzkat and mr. no gold, for all the input.  I can't believe that with all the books I have on Kentucky Rifles, Patch boxes, etc., that I don't have "Kentucky rifles and Pistols 1750-1850".  I will definitely try to pick it up.   I agree that the few Hillegas rifles I have seen, didn't seem to look like my rifle......also, everything I have read states that he signed his full last name in block print.  Back to the drawing board.  There is a  Longrifle show coming up in Myerstown, PA 9/16 & 9/17.  If I don't find the Maker by then, I may take it to the show to see if anyone recognizes the maker.  Thanks again.  Joanne

krabob

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 05:59:09 PM »
I own 2 J. Hillegas and 2 H. Hillegas rifles and know of 14 other hillegas rifles and this does not look like any we have.  All our guns have either the first initial and full last name or full names. I have not seen any with checkering on the wrist or that side plate.

Joanne

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 10:54:05 PM »
Thank you!  I pretty much agree that it probably isn't a Hillegas.  Thank you for your interest.  Joanne