Author Topic: Bullet Powder Casting  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Bullet Powder Casting
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:14:30 PM »
Has anyone ever seen a powder casting like this before.  It's made of a material like the old
egg cartons and there appears to be gunpowder cast into the molds?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Bullet Powder Casting
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 02:02:13 AM »
To control pressures in large artillery powder grains got very large and were pressed to shape rather than pressed into a cake and then broken. This allowed control of the grain size and slowed the pressure rise when using 100-200 pounds for a charge. Some powders were the size of small apples.
The 303 British service cartridge was originally loaded with a single cylinderical  pellet of BP pressed to the required shape when still damp.

W.W. Greener's "The Gun and it Developement" the 1896 edition shows a wood cut of powder granulations and one is a cylinder with a hole through it.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 02:50:32 AM »
I'm wondering if the form were removed, would these by cylindrical.  I wonder if it is for the 303 you mention.  It looks too large for that caliber.  Maybe this guy
came up with his own loads for muzzleloaders?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 04:29:07 PM »
That is very strange. How do you safely store one of those? Kind of looks like one of those match light charcoal blocks. BOY THAT WOULD BE A REAL WAKE UP CALL!!!

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 04:50:09 PM »
The guy sent it to me UPS.  I didn't realize it had powder in it when I ordered it.
Could have been interesting.