Author Topic: scrimshaw designs?  (Read 8038 times)

MikeCooper

scrimshaw designs?
« on: August 30, 2011, 01:08:02 AM »
whats a good source of map designs for powder horns?    I build a horn every now and then and always have trouble deciding what to scrimshaw on it. 

Offline alyce-james

Re: scrimshaw designs?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 02:06:41 AM »
Good evening Mike; My first three books I used were, 1) "AMERICAN POWDER HORNS", by Stephen V. Grancsay. 2) " AMERICAN ENGRAVED POWDER HORN", by John S. De Mont and 3) "ENGRAVED POWDER HORNS", by Nathan L. Swayze. Good luck on your new and exciting venture. AJ
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:09:16 AM by alyce-james »
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

MikeCooper

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 03:41:09 AM »
Thanks,  I'll look for some of those books.   Are there any good maps online that would be good for scrimshaw?   

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 08:09:17 AM »
I found some colonial maps on line.  Can't remember where now but it wasn't hard to locate them. 

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 03:08:09 PM »
 This may help:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/milmapquery.html

Tim C.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 05:52:52 PM »
The maps on horns are not the least bit to scale, etc.  Often they are just a way to know which fort or settlement is next, up river.  The Hartley horn drawings book by the Honorable Company of Horners has several map horns and is dirt cheap.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 06:36:38 PM »
Has anyone seen a nice map of the Great Shamokin Path from Sunbury PA to Kittanning, PA?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 06:52:28 PM »
Try here, I have most of these maps and they are very nice. Large size, maybe 12" x 16" give or take a little.
http://wennawoods.com/cgi-bin/listpage.cgi?cat=maps&store=books
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 07:02:29 PM »
Also google "American engraved powderhorns", click on images and have a ball.

Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 07:22:55 PM »
Lee Larkin published a sketchbook showing the designs of many colonial era horns in great detail - figures, lettering, buildings, forts, animals, etc. - all nice line drawings transposed from originals.  And I think it is very inexpensive.

"A Sketchbook of Colonial and Early American Powder Horn Engraving Designs: 1740-1800. 

Here is a link where it can be purchased

http://www.longrifle.ws/forsale/default.asp?categoryID=7&orderby=Price&age=

I would recommend it, and also getting at least one of the books that shows good (preferably color) photographs of antique examples, so you can see how the various designs were used within the context of the overall horns.

Good luck

Guy

Offline Longshot

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 02:13:53 PM »
Other than for maps, you might try a google tour under 'tattoo flash'.  Some very creative line-drawn images.
Longshot

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 09:13:36 PM »
I assume you're looking for maps of the French & Indian war era. Try this link there are several around page 8, 9...... you can blow them up to get enough detail for a map horn. Good luck.

http://www.google.com/search?q=french+and+indian+war+maps&hl=en&biw=1004&bih=419&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1hlhTpC1OtOgtwf11tn1Dw&sqi=2&ved=0CBoQsAQ

MikeCooper

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 05:59:25 AM »
thanks for all the good links.