Author Topic: Caywood Fowler Question  (Read 6080 times)

Offline SCLoyalist

Caywood Fowler Question
« on: August 30, 2011, 03:08:29 PM »
Can anyone recommend wad components for a 12 ga Caywood English fowler?   I used to own a Navy Arms 12 ga that really needed 13 ga wads rather than 12.    Just wondered if Caywoods ran a bit large or small with respect to bore diameter.

And, I noticed that Track offers lubed felt wads that they say take the place of overpowder and cushion wads.   Anybody have any opinions on how they work compared to separate o/p and cushion wads?

Thanks, SCL

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Caywood Fowler Question
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 04:46:42 PM »
SCL,
Can't help you directly with the Caywood but in my own 12 ga I haven't been using any cushion wads. My loads consist of; powder, over powder card, shot and 2 over shot cards. Been getting abulous patterns.
Mark
Mark

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 12:30:58 AM »
Thanks, Mark,  sounds like something to try.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 01:41:48 AM »
Caywood uses modern shotgun barrel blanks in their smoothbore guns, if that's any help.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 02:57:53 AM »
SCL,
Can't help you directly with the Caywood but in my own 12 ga I haven't been using any cushion wads. My loads consist of; powder, over powder card, shot and 2 over shot cards. Been getting abulous patterns.
Mark

This same configuration works very well in my .62
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 05:19:14 AM »
SC I have a caywood 12 ga enlish game gun an I get great patterns loading powder, one 12 ga overpowder card, then the shot an 2 overshot cards. I do not use the 1/2 inch fiber wads, when I tried them they blew my patterns.  I hope this helps you. :)
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

roundball

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 10:34:52 PM »
As an aside, it really is interesting how different smoothbores can behave.
In past years I found less wadding in 32" GM .28 & .20ga barrels gave me tighter patterns...a couple of 1/8" Oxyoke wool wads...not the 1/2" cushion wads.

But a new 42" Rice .28ga gives me tighter patterns with a full 1/2" cushion wad. 

Nesbitt

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 03:45:10 AM »
SC, Your Navy Arms 12 gauge was probably choked, so you'd find a slightly smaller wad much easter to start at the muzzle.  A Caywood fowler will have a cylinder bore muzzle, even if it is jug choked.  Shoot sharp, Mike

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 04:35:25 AM »
Mike,
Have seen your posts a couple of times now. "WELCOME TO THE FIRE"
Mark
Mark

Nesbitt

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 05:08:23 AM »
Mark, Thank you very much for the good and kind welcome.  And I hope you visit that other Campfire too, maybe just to enjoy the coffee.  Shoot sharp, Mike

seesbirds

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 05:38:11 AM »
Interesting.

I was just pondering putting up the question.  I was told to use the wad by one guy and not to by another.  Both were pretty good shooters.  However the preponderance of opinion here seems to be forget about the wad.  I'm going to try that next fowler match I shoot.

Thanks guys for the good information

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 06:24:24 AM »
Mark,
The load that I talked about above produced a 50%+ pattern on and 8.5X11 piece of paper at 25 yards. 1 1/8 oz #7.5 shot with equivilant, by volume, charge of 2F which is 80 grains by weight. There are 300+/- pellets and I counted 152 hits. The target is impressive.
Mark
Mark

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 01:07:49 AM »
FYI - a 30" circle at 25 yards should contain 70% of the shot load for a true & proper cylinder bore designation.

As you all probably know, 70% at 40 yards is the recognised full choke pattern percentage - in the same 30" diameter circle.

That 15 yards can make a HUGE difference with shot.

Better or less than these adjust the designation of the load and gun.