Author Topic: New .45 Rifle just finished  (Read 18632 times)

MarkEngraver

New .45 Rifle just finished
« on: August 31, 2011, 03:50:46 AM »
Well, this will be my first attempt at trying to post some pictures of my new rifle I just finished.

The particulars are : .45 cal. Green Mtn. barrel, 7/8 x 36"
                               somewhat modified L&R Durs Egg lock
                               all the rest of the furniture is made by myself

The rear sight is an experiment with an aperture system. My eyes are getting older too, as others have stated in other posts so I figured I'd give this a try. If it doesn't work I'll go back to a standard barrel sight.

thanks for looking, Mark

Offline Kermit

Re: New .45 Rifle just finished
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 04:03:25 AM »
Man! What's NOT to like! That patchbox is my new favorite--ever. And since I'm of an age, tell us more about that rear sight. Is that a peep that's open at the top? See? I don't see so well either. :-\
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 04:08:10 AM »
WOW Mark. Really nice work. I like everything about it.

Offline bgf

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 04:12:51 AM »
That is stunningly beautiful, and a little different and a bit contemporary at the same time.  Excellent.  The PB is great, obviously, and I especially like the carving around the cheekpiece -- very southern in feel, not stiff and formal at all, though neatly executed.  Really there isn't anything I don't like on that rifle, except you need double set triggers :).

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 04:15:51 AM »
Very nice job through out this completed project. Many well executed features. Glad you were successful posting the pictures. Thanks, AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 04:44:00 AM »
Mark that is a beautiful rifle and very well done!! the hand of a true artist!!  The carving is exquisite, the engraving with the light touch of a master..and oh the architecture.......I think I like it!!! Thanks for posting the pictures.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 04:48:50 AM »
Mark,

That is one beautiful rifle.  Everything about it is simple, yet elegant.  To me its kind of a cross between a mountain rifle and a longrifle, and they've been blended perfectly.  I really like what you've done.  Thanks for sharing!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Odd Fellow

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 05:01:08 AM »
I like it!

Offline Glenn

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 05:19:13 AM »
Beautiful work Mark ... the best of compliments are in order !!!   ;D

I like the sight idea.  I hit 50 in a couple weeks and my eyes can use some help!
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Online J. Talbert

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 05:20:15 AM »
Nice design, nicely done!

Way to go,

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 05:40:44 AM »
Wow, another nice rifle. Thats at least three maybe more in just the last few days. Shur glad I frequent this site and really glad you posted the pics. Very nice.    Smylee

MarkEngraver

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 05:46:03 AM »
Thank you all, I appreciate the kind words.

Let me add some further details about the gun.
 The stock  started as a Pecatonica "Armstrong" pattern with a little reshaping, it is stained with Aqua Fortis.
The length of pull is 14 3/4  inches. I have long arms, and anything less than 14 inches feels like a kids gun for me, so hence the long pull.
The rear sight is a peep with the top shaped like a heart or Mickey Mouse ears. I saw a drawing of this sight in a book called
"OLD GUNSIGHTS" by Nick Strobel.  The caption reads " Rear Peep Sight on ancient flintlock rifle", its on pg131 of the book.
It seems to work OK, but this sight turned out to be too low, I already made a little taller one and mounted it.
I think it's going to work out, I just have to get use to a different system. It's like shooting my long range rolling blocks.
I don't like double set triggers, Sorry !
The inspiration for the gun is Ian Pratt's 2008 CLA rifle.   All I've seen are pictures but, That Gun just captured me! I wanted to build something in that  "spirit".

Here's a few more pictures.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 05:51:59 AM »
Wow!  Where have you been hiding?  Terrific work, all very coherent and beautifully executed.
Andover, Vermont

Offline huntinguy

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 07:12:38 AM »
Oho... my word.......... I am speechless... do you have more pictures?

How did you make the butt plate?

What is the patch box made of?

That sight is interesting… I also would like to know more about it.

That is an amazing rifle...............
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

eagle24

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 04:43:57 PM »
Great Job!  Well executed and great workmanship.

coutios

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 04:52:35 PM »
Nice job Mark...
Dave

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 05:31:27 PM »
Very nice, well done. Especially like the trigger guard and patchbox.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 06:50:47 PM »
I too like the patch box and the long entry thimble.  Overall it is a simple gun with just enough accents to make if unique.  Great work.
Mark Thomas

Offline satwel

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 10:35:23 PM »
Very nice work, Mark! Can you please describe how you finished the metal?

Thanks

54Bucks

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 03:35:39 AM »
 That's a beauty! It's one of those rifles where each element adds to the total. I can't remember a long rifle with the same barrel length as eye-catching as this one! That's a rare accomplishment. May I ask what the finished rifle weighs? I'm having a .45 cal. 7/8" X 39" rifle made in the near future.

MarkEngraver

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 04:04:43 AM »
Satwel,

Frankly,  this is my second attempt at presenting a little  "age" to a rifle.

I've read a lot of the posts on ALR on the "debate on aging" ,and the posts on the processes used by the various members here for putting on some age.
This is what I did ..... I buried the parts !

I plugged the muzzle/ touch hole of the barrel , stripped the various parts of oils , swabbed Apple Cider Vinegar on the parts , and then buried the parts in the back yard with about in inch or so of dirt over them and left them for a couple days.
When I dug them up, they had good blotchy, spotty rust on them. I clean them up some with red scotch brite. What I had was again a spotty rust pitting/etching to the parts which is what I was after.
Then I Cold Blued everything and let it sit for a while outside in the sun working with the Apple Cider Vinegar still on the parts.  Then I washed everything down with hot water and set in the sun again.

(It was hot that day in the central mountains of AZ. were I live, couldn't hardly touch the parts.)

Anyway they developed a fine rust, I carded that back to the look I was looking for, A  blue greyed steel with some rust appearance.
Then I rubbed everything down with a light coat of linseed oil and set in the sun to "bake" it in.
With all the Wiz-Bang rust preventatives out there, I have found no better than good old linseed oil.
It's what my farmer forefathers used on the machinery, plows and disks and such.

I like the look I got with this process, maybe the bluing/Clorox process would have work just as well ?

Sorry for being long winded and again
Thank You all for the kind words,

Mark

KennyC

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 06:18:15 AM »
WOW is all I can say

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 03:25:49 PM »
Mark........you did a great job on this thing.    It's difficult to make a gun look good, especially when you make it with a long
pull...........14 3/4" is long, but you pulled it off wonderfully.   I also like what you did with the trigger, am happy to see that you didn't install one right out of the bag.   You done good...............Don

MarkEngraver

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 11:00:46 PM »
54bucks,

The gun weighs a shade under 8lbs.
I have another .45 with a 7/8 42" barrel, I weighed that one too and it comes in at 9 1/2 lbs.
I would expect a 39"er would get in at 9lbs. or a little less.

Mark

hoochiepapa

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 12:46:01 AM »
Another beauty! Very nice work!