Author Topic: need advise on stock  (Read 2809 times)

Offline hortonstn

need advise on stock
« on: August 31, 2011, 04:02:17 PM »
i'm not sure but i think i might have goofed, i cut out the pattern of an issac haines rifle on my blank, i did not leave but about a 1/8 inch of belly under the ramrod
is this enough??
thoughts are appreciated
paul

Offline J. Talbert

Re: need advise on stock
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 04:41:35 PM »
1/8" below the ramrod sounds about right to me.  Just make sure your front ramrod extension is nice and thin, and don't get carried away and inlet it too deep.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

coutios

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 04:55:48 PM »
eigth inch will work out fine.. As they say just go easy not alot of wiggle room....

Regards
Dave

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 06:13:04 PM »
If the hole is drilled you are fine.  If not then clamp the sawed off piece of fore-arm to the fore-arm before drilling, to give adequate support.  Otherwise the drill may wander.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 06:22:37 PM »
i'm not sure but i think i might have goofed, i cut out the pattern of an issac haines rifle on my blank, i did not leave but about a 1/8 inch of belly under the ramrod
is this enough??
thoughts are appreciated
paul

Sounds good to me. If not cut close and then not cut away later the gun ends up too deep in the forend from the excess "cushion" of wood left in sawing.
How scary the RR hole is depends on the ramrod drill you use, your planning and skill in using it.
Make sure the RR groove runs parallel to the bore or slightly up toward the breech of the barrel. But if you angle it up too much their will be no place for the front lock screw.
Use a drill that runs straight. The only one I know of is a gun drill type with a shaft just a very few thousandths smaller or the same size as the hole the cutting edge cuts.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine