Author Topic: aging brass  (Read 4680 times)

jim m

aging brass
« on: November 09, 2008, 07:19:56 PM »
I fumed some brass with ammonia and it came out well except, I got freckles. lots of small black flecks, patina looks good except for all the black flecks. what did I do wrong  ???

Offline halfstock

Re: aging brass
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 07:54:56 PM »
Jim: I have no idea what you did wrong on that concoction but please don't laugh at the following, the next time just use mayonase or mustard, it works quite well.

Halfstock

Offline Kermit

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 02:31:02 AM »
Hey, Half! Any problem with the mayo/mustard treatment on a gun that's already together and stock is finished? Sure would like to tame down the brass on one of mine, just to get some of the "new" off of it.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 05:34:06 PM »
Kermit, next time you clean it just rumb the brass with the dirty patches, it will tarnish it real well....Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline halfstock

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 08:13:54 PM »
Kermit: I've never had any problem with it but you probably don't want to smear it on the wood like a sandwich. ;) ;D :-\
Halfstock

Offline Kermit

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 03:09:55 AM »
The Scot in me likes the dirty patch method!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 03:35:41 AM »
Halfstock puts mayonaise and mustard on his guns because he might have to eat them. It's not for antiquing.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline halfstock

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 02:29:43 AM »
Jerry: Been a lot of fellars that wanted to try and make me eat a fire arm, but they took a look in these old brown eyes and decided that maybe the cost wouldn't  be worth the final cost of the activity.  :-\ ;)
Halfstock (who is old, grey, and just a might grouchy and possibly a might under estimated at times)  ;D ;)

jim m

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 02:53:40 AM »
don't know how this turned into a discusion on mayo and mustard, but does anyone have any idea what might have caused the black flecks when I fumed the brass with ammonia

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 03:46:55 PM »
If you had the part in a sealed container while fuming, I’d bet that the black flecks were caused by moisture condensing on the brass.

John
John Robbins