Author Topic: J. G. Righter builder info  (Read 1967 times)

Offline rick landes

J. G. Righter builder info
« on: September 02, 2011, 09:13:54 PM »
I have rifle, percussion now, that has the above signature on the barrel. It also reads ?os Golcher on the lock plate. Appears to be about a .32 caliber with about a 40" barrel. The muzzle has a design of small circles in forming a circle around the breech. Brass trigger guard and a narrow brass butt plate with an extended hook at the top. The thimbles are brass (2) with no entry thimble. Curly maple stock with hazelnut brown finish, no inlays or carving with a small cheek piece.
I think it may have been converted to percussion cap from the original flint as the drum threads show going into the oblique flat as viewed from above.
This is an estate rifle from Hawaii.
Any ideas out there to fill in any more info? Builder info? Years?
Thanks!
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: J. G. Righter builder info
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:40:08 AM »
Hi Rick
Heres some info i got from Jim Whisker.

Vol II of Ohio Gunsmiths and Allied Tradesmen --has Righter biographical info plus photos of his work. Noted as age 34 in 1850 Census; still listed as late as 1896. Harrison Co,. OH, which is central n/s and in eastern OH.

Mitch Yates