Author Topic: How big is too big for tree rats??  (Read 24690 times)

northmn

Re: How big is too big for tree rats??
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2011, 05:27:25 PM »
Squirrel tails make good bass bug adornment too.  Grey squirrels are edible but I often hide them in casseroles so the family will eat them.  Have not been out yet this year for squirrel, lot less walking than grouse hunting.

DP

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2011, 05:46:03 PM »
Squirrel tails make good bass bug adornment too.  Grey squirrels are edible but I often hide them in casseroles so the family will eat them.  Have not been out yet this year for squirrel, lot less walking than grouse hunting.

DP

Mom always fried them. Just like chicken. Fox and Greys both taste great.
Hunting and eating them is one of the few things I miss about the east.
We have fox squirrels in Billings don't know if they were imported by humans or how they got there.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2011, 06:04:47 PM »
IIRC- the black squirrels tasted exactly the same as the greys.  I shot them both. We only had the odd fox squirrel and they-too went down when they got under my sights.

camerl2009

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2011, 07:43:24 PM »
in souther ont we got fox squirrel,black squirrel,grey squirrel,red squirrel and the most odd one ive ever seen it looked as some one cut the back half off red and attach it to a black squirrel  :P i wish i had a pic if that squirrel was not in the city it would have been mounted  ;D

the meat is about the same for all of them when i hunt them an clean them i soak them in salt water and it seems to help a bit
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 07:45:57 PM by camerl2009 »