Author Topic: Travis Meadows  (Read 4049 times)

The Squaw Man

Travis Meadows
« on: September 05, 2011, 06:34:45 PM »
Good Morning All, I have a long hunter knife made by a Travis Meadows, dated 6/13/74, with a serial number also stamped. I've googled his name and drawn a blank.
         Does anyone know this maker? Thanks, TSM

Nesbitt

Re: Travis Meadows
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 04:46:18 AM »
TSM, I knew Travis but not real well.  I wrote an article about him and his knives but that was 30 years ago.  Let me try to find that story so I can give you some details.  That was back when I wrote my stories with crayon and not computer, so it will take me at least a little while to find.  Shoot sharp, Mike

The Squaw Man

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 05:38:50 AM »
Thanks Mike. I'm looking forward to it. TSM

Nesbitt

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 05:59:21 AM »
TSM, Okay, I found my file copy.  The story was written for The Buckskin Report so it was probably done in the late 1970s.  I reviewed a knife that was Travis's 721st and it was what he called a drop point skinner.  That knife, according to my old story, had a bolster and butt cap with a cow horn handle.  It was priced back then at $25.  What might be of interest to you is that Travis never had a catalog and most of his knives were made to order or as requested.  And he usually did not supply a sheath with his knives but he would, whether he made the sheath or had it done, if you buyer requested.  That's about all I can tell you and at that time his address was Star Route Box 22, Maysville, NC 28555.  Travis also built rifles and pistols plus powder horns and other fixin's.  I hope this helps somewhat.  Shoot sharp's the word, Mike

The Squaw Man

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 01:06:50 AM »
Thank you very much Mike, interesting information. I appreciate your time. TSM

Nesbitt

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 03:43:26 AM »
Thank you, Ol' Hoss.  I'm glad I could help.  Shoot sharp's the word, Mike

John A. Stein

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 04:05:47 AM »
Info from SS Death Index--Meadows, Travis, born 17 Dec. 1920, Died March, 1986. Last adress, Maysville, NC   John Stein

Nesbitt

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 06:21:32 PM »
Thanks, John.  That news kind'a puts a lid on it.  Shoot sharp, Mike