Author Topic: New old gun  (Read 2623 times)

Len

New old gun
« on: September 06, 2011, 08:58:36 PM »
Hey to all, new to the forum, thanks for the opportunity to post. I have been looking at all the reference photos, some beautiful rifles! Trying to find out a little more about a rifle I got last week. This rifle has no name except on the lock "Golcher" and it's my understanding that Golcher was a lock maker not a gun maker. I'm thinking this gun is a plain rifle or poor boy as it is a very plain half stock that has been converted to percussion has iron furniture no patch box 2 plain iron ram rod thimbles pewter forend cap. The only mark I can find is on the muzzle just above the bottom flat ( .L. ) The gun weight is 7 lbs. it is 50 inches tip to tip with a 34 inch bbl. that is 3/4" across the flats and it looks to be about 40 cal.. I believe it would be a shooter, it has a great bore. I can't get photos to load but I can send via email if anyone would like to look, just tell me what you would like a pic. of. Thanks again for this opportunity to post

Offline JCKelly

Re: New old gun
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 09:19:38 PM »
It would be unusual for a half-stock rifle with a Goulcher lock to have been flint originally.

It is not unusual for various dealers, including major auction houses, to state that obviously original percussion rifles had been converted from flint. Affects the confidence one has in their other statements.

The easiest way to tell if the gun had been flint is to look for the extra holes in the lockplate, one for the frizzen, two for the frizzen spring. They may be left as holes or plugged.

Of course if the gun had been converted by putting on a complete new percussion lock, there will be no holes. In that case one looks for the cut-out behind the hammer, where the former flint cock came to rest on the plate.

Most commonly - but not guaranteed - flint locks were held by two screws, and percussion locks by one. I suppose - suppose - this is because the drum or patent breech on a percussion gun also serves to resist the mainspring torque.

Len

Re: New old gun
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 10:48:32 PM »
Thanks much, just the kind of information I'm looking for. I had assumed that the brass bowl under the drum was where the pan had been cut off. There are no xtra holes in the lock plate but the hammer has a notch that has been filled or plugged about 1/4" wide X 3/8" high.