Author Topic: Removing Barrel Browning?  (Read 5419 times)

Offline Bill-52

Removing Barrel Browning?
« on: September 06, 2011, 09:08:12 PM »
I browned my barrel and it turned out just as I had hoped, an even dark brown with a smooth fine finish (I carded frequently).  Only one problem -- I don't like the look and want to take it back to bright.

My thought was to use naval jelly and 0000 steel wool or a scotchbrite pad backed by a strip of wood or plexiglas to avoid rounding the flats.  Go slowly and carefully, removing the sights since the rifle is not yet sighted in.  My objective would be to end up with a soft, steel gray color.

Am I going at this the right way?  Other alternatives?  Or, rather than risk unforeseen problems, keep it as is?

Thanks,
Bill

Offline alyce-james

Re: Removing Barrel Browning?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 09:33:05 PM »
Bill; The method you laid out, naval jelly with special attention to avoid rounding the flats, has worked for me. I have only used this method on very short pistol barrels, 4 (four) to 7 (seven) inches and all in between. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Try your idea on a sample piece of left over barrel. I'm sure you will receive other outstanding ideas. Good luck, Turkeyfooter.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline jim meili

• Wisconsin Muzzle Loading Association
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:40:16 PM »
To get the brown off easily, go to the grocery store and buy yourself a bottle of "Works" toilet bowl cleaner. The stuff in the gray bottle, not the white bottle. Look at what's in it and it should say 15% hydrochloric acid. Mix some half and half with water, plug your barrel, wipe on the solution with steel wool and scrub off the brown. In about 5 minutes the barrel will be back to a frosty white. Be sure to wear some protection on your hands 'cause if you have any little cuts or opens in the skin the acid will infect there.
Good luck...
Jim

Black Hand

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:07:10 AM »
Naval jelly will remove the browning without any trouble with minimal to no sanding required.  This will leave your barrel a gray color which can be greatly enhanced by a coating of cold-blue rubbed back.  This is exactly what I did to my barrel.  It takes the "bright" off without going medieval on the barrel...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:10:22 AM by Black Hand »

JB2

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 03:42:03 AM »
I have used electrolysis on many iron and steel items, including a couple of ML barrels.  Requires no abrasive at all, just a little time.

Offline James

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 05:04:47 AM »
What is meant when you say "rubbed back?"
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Black Hand

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 04:57:56 PM »
What is meant when you say "rubbed back?"
Cloth patch to coat the barrel with cold blue (I used Birchwood Casey) and let it sit a few minutes.  Then 0000 steel wool to remove most of the color, a water rinse, dry and oil. Took 20-30 minutes total.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 05:00:38 PM by Black Hand »

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 06:09:22 AM »
Such complicated methods!  220 grit sandpaper will take it right off.  Rust brown really is not all that durable.  The reason it stays on for centuries is that it keeps reapplying itself by rusting.  Donīt use harsh chemicals and complicated methods. 
volatpluvia 
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

coutios

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 06:47:04 AM »
Birchwood Casey has a Blueing and Rust Remover.. Takes browning right off and leaves a soft gray color... Rinse/oil...... Done...

So many ways it skin a cat

Good Luck
Dave

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 04:15:13 PM »
Thanks all for the advice and ideas.  I think I'll start out simple (Birchwood Casey Bluing and Rust Remover) and move to more aggressive/complicated alternatives if necessary. 

It's great to have the benefit of so much knowledge and experience at one's finger tips.  Thanks again.

Bill

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 05:41:03 PM »
I browned my barrel and it turned out just as I had hoped, an even dark brown with a smooth fine finish (I carded frequently).  Only one problem -- I don't like the look and want to take it back to bright.

My thought was to use naval jelly and 0000 steel wool or a scotchbrite pad backed by a strip of wood or plexiglas to avoid rounding the flats.  Go slowly and carefully, removing the sights since the rifle is not yet sighted in.  My objective would be to end up with a soft, steel gray color.

Am I going at this the right way?  Other alternatives?  Or, rather than risk unforeseen problems, keep it as is?

Thanks,
Bill
Use Naval Jelly.
Its one way to "age" a finish.
But the white metal is going to constantly try to rust and finger print.
I would leave it brown. I dislike white barrels.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 04:37:59 PM »
Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. 

Finally got around to using naval jelly to remove the browning yesterday and it worked like a charm.  just brushed on the naval jelly, let it sit for 10 minutes, and then scrubbed the flats with a scotchbrite pad backed with a piece of wood.  Rinsed the barrel as I worked around it (cold water, not hot, as I learned). The finish is now a nice soft gray.  Start to finish was only a few hours.

Thanks again all -- nice to have such knowledge and experience so readily available.

Bill