Author Topic: Opinion Please - The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle by Henry Kauffman  (Read 10351 times)

AeroE

Opinion Please - The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle by Henry Kauffman
« on: September 09, 2011, 04:27:21 AM »
Is this book considered to be a valuable historical resource?

The photos of rifles are mostly poor, many are taken from an angle quartering from the bottom.

In any case, the copy I bought was cheap enough, but I'm wondering if the book is worth careful study and lots of time.

AeroE

Re: Opinion Please - The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle by Henry Kauffman
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 05:48:19 AM »
I have several later books, but this one was $1, and it's one I've never run across before.  I figured as much about the out of date info, that's why I asked.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:50:03 AM by AeroE »

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 05:54:07 AM »
Henry Kauffman, now deceased, was one of the most respected scholars of his time. His book should be in all libraries focused on the American Longrifle. Few today are his equal.
Hurricane
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:56:07 AM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 06:09:32 AM »
Is this book considered to be a valuable historical resource?

The photos of rifles are mostly poor, many are taken from an angle quartering from the bottom.

In any case, the copy I bought was cheap enough, but I'm wondering if the book is worth careful study and lots of time.

Its required reading.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 04:59:42 PM »
Agree. Kauffmann's book is one of the best.
He knew what he was about, a trait not so widely shared as you might like to think.

• Library_mod
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 06:59:09 PM »
From Professor James Whisker:

> Professor Henry J. Kauffman taught industrial arts at Millersville Normal School, later college, still later state university, quite near Lancaster. He used his graduate assistants to assist in gathering information. Western PA came from the late Bob McAfee. Many of Bob's research bits in both newspapers and 1850 census were published in Muzzle Blasts and elsewhere. Bob was a close friend of the late Dr Jim Herron, a veterinarian in Canonsburg, PA. Dr Herron was also a major researcher on Greene, Washington, Allegheny, and nearby counties. While Calvin Hetrick assisted Capt Dillin in his 3rd and subsequent editions, R. A. Farber gave Prof Kauffman data on Bedford and surrounding counties. Prof Kauffman's assistants did much of research in eastern PA, largely from PA Archives [3rd series] and 1850 census. He also received information from Paul Sharpe, once PA state taxidermist, who lived in Perry Co, PA, just outside Harrisburg. Sharpe was a bachelor who had plenty of time and loads of interest in old guns.
> In addition to his work on gunsmiths, Prof Kauffman published books on "the axe monopoly" a PA firm that at one time made something like 80% of all axes manufactured word-wide. He also had a book on PA workers in brass and copper, materials in which Prof Kauffman excelled as a metal-smith. He also had studies of barns and barn decorations. He had once begun a study of Conestoga wagons, later surpassed by Dr George Shumway. Prof Kauffman was the foremost researcher of his time on American, especially PA, tradesmen. There are few errors in his research although we understand a great deal more now than we did then, partly because more resources are available [notably census lists].

• Library_mod
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 07:18:17 PM »
Henry Kauffman was also a contributor to the landmark volume of Joe Kendig, "Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in the Golden Age."

Offline Belleville

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 04:44:08 AM »
I have owned the Henry Kauffman book for many years and still consider it a good reference. I would not sell my copy unless I absolutely needed the money.

Doc S.

Offline HIB

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 02:55:37 AM »
Think about what you have for a moment. At one time us old timers each had a copy of Kauffman's book. We, basically read it from cover to cover, however, as errors were brought to light many simply put the book aside but there are a number of us who took notes when each and every error was pointed out. The most valuable copy today is the one that has all the notes. The second most valuable copy is the one you have. Just think of the venture you have prescribed for yourself. Use a ball point as some of the things I wrote down 50 years ago in #4 pencil are starting to fade. Suggest the same vacation with Kindig. You'll never regret the exercise and the knowledge you'll accumulate can't be measured. Start your journey soon as 'time and money both run out, but you can always find more money' . HIB

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 02:39:59 PM »
As has already been mentioned he was into things other than Kentucky rifles. His book American Axes is a valuable part of my collection and can ususally be picked up relatively cheap...I believe there was a reprinting back in the 90's.  He was one of those people who  bridged the gap for our generation of collectors.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 04:17:38 PM »
Henry,You are right on the money. My copy of  Kauffman's book came from a Kentucky rifle collector. He had marked the mistakes  with pencil and identified unmarked guns .  I have continued what he started.  JIM
JIM

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 12:42:10 AM »

Jim.  Did he mark the "Jacobus Scout" reference?  Kauffman got him mixed up with John Shuler. There's no known "Jacobus Scout" guns.

Daniel, I never noticed it tell your post . It is marked now.   JIM
JIM

Offline HIB

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 12:46:12 AM »
Mine as well.  Thanks for the input.  HIB

Offline James

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 03:59:06 AM »
Kauffman's and Dillon's books were recommended to me by one of the posters who is directing me in my quest to learn about these guns. I didn't understand why I should read works that weren't entirely correct, but I am starting to see why now.  I think it is because of what they got right. Thanks, Jim
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Mike R

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 04:03:19 PM »
This was also my first book on the longrifle.  Largely still correct, it is one of the classics.  It is hard to find any book without a few errors.  That is why each of us should read critically.