Author Topic: The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle  (Read 3361 times)

Offline ohidan

The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle
« on: September 12, 2011, 04:26:52 PM »
I ran across this book Sat. at a antique mall it is written by Ned H. Roberts , just got started reading it seems to have a lot of info. on old guns and their builders , i noticed it has a pic of a P.I.Spence match rifle from what i've read in the past he only  built one complete gun and a member of the family has it . makes me wonder if this is the same gun?
ohidan

Bill

Re: The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 04:52:01 PM »
I certainly hope you purchased the book! I have enjoyed reading it many times.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 05:31:25 PM »
Danny,
P.I. Spence built mostly locks and triggers but did put together a few rifles and pistols. Yes, the rifle pictured is the rifle that I sold back to his G G Grandson a couple of years ago. The book is one of the bibles of muzzleloading.
Mark
Mark

BGC

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 07:39:09 PM »
Several years ago I ran across an auto pistol frame(at least that is what I took it for) stamped P.I. Spence. He was probably into many facets of gun making.

Ned Roberts' book is still a good reference book. Still can find useful material in it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 07:40:55 PM by BGC »

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 05:42:51 AM »
This book will tell you everything and more than you would ever want to know about shooting caplock rifles. Those old timers could wring every ounce of accuracy out of those old home made guns they could get. Some of that shooting just amazes me how accurate those guns were. I highly recommend this book, it's back to the basics.

Regards  Frank