Author Topic: Wade's first one_ pics/completed  (Read 46326 times)

Offline KLMoors

Re: Wade's first one
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2013, 01:20:24 PM »
Watch ebay Wade. I got a real nice antique spokeshave for almost nothing. The blade was in perfect shape, but the "foot" was worn. I spliced in a piece of really hard maple and that thing is the cat's meow!

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2013, 04:46:56 AM »
Most of my hoggin is done with a spoke shave. Can't imagine using a drawknife.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2013, 04:36:53 AM »
Lesson #121 today: Don't not never* assume that the symmetry of the barrel side is reflected perfectly by the ramrod side.

*triple negative makes negative mathematically and emphatically.

I cut too deep agin! ::)  >:(  :-[

Work where you can see.  Check your work often.  Take more breaks.  Re-evaluate.  Slow is O. K.  and such as that!
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2013, 05:24:47 PM »
Alrighty then.  There's really no repairing yesterdays disaster, BUT I do have a saw mark perpendicular to the bore out near the muzzle that I need to attempt to repair.

I'm thinking of making a dust/glue paste or fitting a sliver of wood-like a 1/4 of a toothpick size after the last bit of shaping. 

searching up ideas, but feel free to give your recipe for fixing such.  It's where i sawed in to cut off slab as i ripsawed the length of the stock.
Hold to the Wind

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2013, 05:33:58 PM »
I don't think the sawdust idea will disappear upon finishing. It will probably come out as a dark stripe.  Are you certain this is going to show? There ain't much wood on these guns and lots of times I have thought a boo boo might show up, only to discover it will disappear when my final shaping is done.

For the ones that you can't scrape or sand out, a real piece of wood is usually your best bet. Also, Taylor turned me on to using a magic marker to blend in boo boo's. (I know, the horror!) Between brown, black, and red, rubbed with some lacquer thinner, you can make an area look pretty good.  Practice on some scrap first because that stuff soaks in and is very permanent!

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2013, 05:53:40 PM »
Hey thanks.  I read around.  I think i got it.  stain before glue.

I'm down there.  really skinny now.  this thing won't come all the way out even as i taper to the bbl channel.  or even if it does, I'd rather get some repair material in there now-in case it doesn't.

skinny-we R going to be real thin.  I think i'll hide the rasp and scrape it the rest of the way out.  ::)

It's that the ramrod channel isn't exactly parallel to the bore that bit me hard.  I'll glue up the patch )the other one( and work on panels and buttstock today.  

so i'm going more "old school" than i realized, here's a quote about old stuff:
I get a chuckle when thinking about descriptions John Bivins used when talking about rough inlets in his articles.  He suggested some inlets looked like they had been dug out by a demented well digger.  Another was the thought that the inlet had been cut with a foot adze. ;D...

Jim

Hatchet Wade
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 06:11:38 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
the errors of my ways
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2013, 12:45:06 AM »
Still real big in the butt.

there.  all fixed... (more wood to remove, really)

kitchen thingy works as scraper

I let the rasp run too far beyond the mid-axis.  It's a smidge under cut there.  I'll get it one day. mebbe.

Gun gets more frustrating yet more done-er every day.  POINTS and holds REAL easy.  Going to have a blast shooting this one.  I better stock up on flints.

done for the day. date with GF.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2013, 08:27:45 AM »
Hey Wade,
 if you are looking for a spokeshave, you might want to look at
Hock Tools. Their primary product is high quality plane blades and caps for production hand planes but they also market kits for spokeshaves and scratch stocks. Good stuff.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2013, 05:30:18 PM »
Thanks but right now it's not about finding a shave it's about acquisition expenses. (M T Pockets). 

Using the flexible scraper (ironically on a dead flat surface), was "re" enlightening.  the rest of my scrapers are rigid.  I've only seen store-bought scrapers in pictures.  I'll work up another flexy scraper or two real soon.
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2013, 01:53:43 AM »
just tried glass today.  GREAT stuff. 

and mistake #137: lost a pin in a blind hole---yeah, don't have blind holes.  tried to push pin through--well it went through, but deviated and got tight wouldn't pull through.  Tried to push it back, stuck-because of deviation.  Use dremel burr to cut pin in the tab mortise.  get half of it.  Drill in from "new" side trying to make room to push it out, broke bit.

So I returned to scraping.  1/4 inch of pin and part of a drill stuck in the off-lock panel.

which pin?  the most obvious one in the whole rifle.  Front guard.  :o 

Anyway.  I figger the more mistakes i can make (and learn to correct-and not make) on this one the better the next one should be.

Getting close.  Going to feel like a new man when I get to slap stain all over it.  AF makes it look like mud.  I don't care for mud. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2013, 01:13:33 AM »
scrape scrape scrape that skinny wood.   (real old-timers might catch that tune-well i did change most of the words.)

all over the fore-end today.  skinnying up the RR channel.  might get the front 3 feet finished up tonight if i'm extra lucky.

Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2013, 03:22:44 AM »

a color i can live with, on scrap.  and the bidness end.  (going capless)

Hold to the Wind

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2013, 03:39:12 AM »
Wade, if you're not going to use a nose piece, make sure you round those corners well.  If it were mine, I'd take off another 1/16" of the forend too.  It's going to get barked pretty good during loading, and if you don't round her off, you'll also bark your knuckles.  It's been fun watching your build.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2013, 03:52:12 AM »
Wade, if you're not going to use a nose piece, make sure you round those corners well.  If it were mine, I'd take off another 1/16" of the forend too.  It's going to get barked pretty good during loading, and if you don't round her off, you'll also bark your knuckles.  It's been fun watching your build.

thanks Taylor, yeah i can do that.  I may put a cap on it at some point, but haven't decided between iron or pewter and don't need any more work between now and making it shoot. Headed out to shop now for a few hours.  Temps just dropped to 50f at night.  LOVELY!!!
Hold to the Wind

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2013, 03:57:23 AM »
TN ... poor guy!  It freezes here at night - a bit, but goes up to + freezing during the day.  If it'd stop raining for a while, I'd be happy.  It didn't rain for nearly three months this summer...slept under just a sheet until mid September.  Now this nasty stuff.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2013, 09:01:30 AM »
I may put a cap on it at some point, but haven't decided between iron or pewter and don't need any more work between now and making it shoot. Headed out to shop now for a few hours.  Temps just dropped to 50f at night.  LOVELY!!!

I'd cast a pewter cap. I've cast four of them on pistols this summer and they were suprising easy and quick to do. Alot easier than sheet metal. There's a great tutorial on the subject in the tutorial section.  Three things I learned.

1. Make the cardboard form oversized, so your sure the pewter fills all the cut outs in the stock.
2. Use alot of masking tape to make sure your form does not leak.
3. Drop a red hot bolt down the the barrel to heat it , so the pewter does not freeze.

Best regards
Rolf
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 10:03:03 AM by Rolf »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Wade's first one___longthread
« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2013, 09:36:19 AM »

should get it together tomorrow.

reshaped panel/wrist/comb and re-stained since those pics taken.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 09:38:56 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2013, 09:48:38 PM »
Time frame forced a BW finish on the wood.  Talk about slaving over a hot stove.

But I soaked it with a "traditional oil" compound first (day before-good heat from wood stove over night). 

Looks fabbalous (if you don't focus too keenly).

a few more odd-ends, then final assembly, and SMOKE (and pics).

TODAY!!!
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2013, 04:12:57 AM »
shot.  still trying to find my fresh flints.   ::) ??? :-\
Hold to the Wind

obsidian

« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2013, 07:12:02 AM »
Gotta love it--you're gonna take that gun out and shoot a deer and eat jerky while you finish her up!
Entertaining process here Wade.
shoot straight
Rich

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2013, 07:25:03 PM »
The first ever range session sucked nearly as much as it shined.  My one freakin' flint was getting round like a pebble and the wind was pushing my sparks and because of the wind i had FF in the pan.  Managed four shots before dark.  Today should give a better session, but will be in the woods for a break from the breeze.  

Then it'll be calm Friday (more shooting).  THEN it'll be a frosty season opener (not always the case down here) SATURDAY!!!.

pics in some hours.  (i'm still soaking in the---Hey There's my Gun over There, DONE!)

previews (more after i get fire started and something to eat):

two of last three shots went into 2" black at 25.  fresh flint changes EVERYthing, and FFFF in the pan yo. 

Shooting to sights with 90FF, I didn't touch them.  atall.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 01:56:36 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2013, 02:03:10 AM »
Gotta love it--you're gonna take that gun out and shoot a deer and eat jerky while you finish her up!
Entertaining process here Wade.
shoot straight
Rich
third load is shooting to the un-adjusted sights.  deer be wares!  ;D
Hold to the Wind

Offline PPatch

« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2013, 02:24:15 AM »
Congratulations Wade! Looks like you made a fine Tennessee shoot'n iron in jig time. Deer gonna be nervous in ur neck of the woods...

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Wade's first one_ pics/completed
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2013, 03:40:05 AM »
Low humidity and load development, not to mention rock hunting ::), only allowed 6 shots today.  Beat one ball senseless on fouling, resorted to "extra" wiping, as hunting is mostly on a clean bore.  Fired every single time with a fresh Missouri rock and 4F.  

Have more pics but they're all crappy and need reshooting-less rush and better lighting.  

And the toeplate and part of the buttplate HAS to be redone.  The rest...is what it is. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 03:46:35 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline KLMoors

Re: Wade's first one_ pics/completed
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2013, 04:15:56 AM »
Hey Wade- that looks like it will work just fine.  But, let me be sure I am understanding you - - it took you five years to build it and you couldn't find the time to order some extra flints? ;D  Lordie man, get your priorities straight!!!  LOL