Author Topic: Help needed to date a Goddard back action rifle lock  (Read 3311 times)

realtorone

Help needed to date a Goddard back action rifle lock
« on: September 13, 2011, 11:52:33 PM »
 I have a rifle,made in Ky.(Rifle and Barrell maker) with  lock marked in two lines Goddard  Warranted.I found one listing on the net,bar action lock ,but no info on the maker. HELP PLEASE.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Help needed to date a Goddard back action rifle lock
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 03:24:39 AM »
We must see the gun in order to date the lock, since the lock is a commercial item and can only be dated in very general terms depending on its shape and style. If you could post photos of the front and back sides of the gun, showing from the butt plate up to about 8 to 10 inches past the lock plate area, we should be able to help you get a pretty good date on your rifle. I specifically collect and research guns made in Kentucky, so a couple of pictures would go a long way in determing the approximate date of your rifle, and therefore your lock plate.   Shelby Gallien

realtorone

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 06:56:07 PM »
Shelby This is the AS JONES rifle  From your research we know when he was in business but I was curious about the lock,and if Goddard was a large or small maker or just a dealer.

George Hebling

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 03:47:04 AM »
George, Nice to hear from you. There isn't much information on lock importers, other than some limited knowledge of Goulcher locks that were both imported, and some made here in the states. Goddard locks are probably those made in England and imported/stamped by Samuel Goddard of New York City. The only date associated with them that I've heard about is an 1858 NY city directory listing that mentions his locks. Shelby Gallien

realtorone

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 05:22:46 PM »
Thanks   Still looking forward to the forthcoming book
George