Author Topic: Breech plug question  (Read 28854 times)

mbokie5

Breech plug question
« on: September 14, 2011, 12:08:17 AM »
On my Early Lancaster, the breech and tang, from above and below, appears to be part of the barrel, that is to say that it looks contiguous.

It must be an optical illusion, right?

The alignment marks are highly visible, but I can't see or feel the separation between plug and barrel.

Please tell me it's just me seeing it that way.

Offline mark esterly

Re: Breech plug question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:13:13 AM »
that's the way it should be
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

mbokie5

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 12:22:05 AM »
that's the way it should be

So when I twist it off, it will become obvious.

coutios

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 12:40:49 AM »
  You are correct in that assumption...   Medium to large cresent wrench.. Grip barrel in a padded vise about an inch from the end of the barrel itself...  It should come right out...

Regards
Dave

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 01:02:19 AM »
When the two parts are well fit and then filed smooth, the line between the two parts can disappear.

They do indeed come apart. Due to finishing, some microscopic bits of metal obscured the split line. The line will be visible after you screw them back together, do not fear.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 02:36:10 AM »
why would you want to remove it???

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 03:29:52 AM »
Mark, you need to remove it to check that the breech mates flush to the rifling for one. Another is to check your vent liner depth. I also like to put anti seize on the threads so  down the road it may come out a little easier if I need to remove it. Bob

mbokie5

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 03:30:35 AM »
Dave and Acer, thank you kindly Sirs. that helps me a lot.

Mark, it's my first, but the video by Jim Turpin on this particular rifle, says it's required to fit the barrel and breech into the stock properly. I'm as green as grass and I will be going strictly by the book and what I learn here and another forum. From everything I've read, it has to happen.

I'm sure the guys here can tell you vastly more than I can.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 04:10:31 PM »
If the barrel channel is cut there is no reason to remove it.
Square up the breech end of the channel then then final inlet the barrel/breech assembly.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

mbokie5

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 04:16:41 PM »
It could be the case. I haven't tried it yet as I haven't removed the stiffener board from the stock. I've got to pick up a couple of small chisels and gouges and a strop. Some prussian blue as well.

The breech plug area on the stock looks to be nearly complete.

I'm watching and rewatching the videos I have and reading the book. I really don't want to mess this up.

Now if it fits and I elect not to remove it, what about the anti seize on the threads?

Offline Herb

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 05:51:31 PM »
What brand of barrel is it?
Herb

coutios

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 07:29:16 PM »
Your going to HAVE TO remove it sooner or later.. Now is as a good of time as any... ( Make SURE its breeched properly) Get a good measurement of the plug to help locate your touch hole for lock placement..  Longears mentioned these things earlier..

You can do this... Take your time, think before you act...

Regards
Dave

mbokie5

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 08:04:56 PM »
What brand of barrel is it?

I believe it's a Rayl. Big R with an arc going to the right of the R with 54 inside the arc.

mbokie5

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 08:05:54 PM »
Your going to HAVE TO remove it sooner or later.. Now is as a good of time as any... ( Make SURE its breeched properly) Get a good measurement of the plug to help locate your touch hole for lock placement..  Longears mentioned these things earlier..

You can do this... Take your time, think before you act...

Regards
Dave

I'll reread long ears post.

mbokie5

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 11:36:20 PM »
Mark, you need to remove it to check that the breech mates flush to the rifling for one. Another is to check your vent liner depth. I also like to put anti seize on the threads so  down the road it may come out a little easier if I need to remove it. Bob

Ok, I got Permatex 133H anti seize.

I may try it later tonight.

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 02:21:25 AM »
i have inlet a barrel with breechplug installed (which is how i purchased it) and have never needed to remove it, even to install the touch hole liner.  never any problems and never extra work. it isn't really necessary.

billd

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 02:34:23 AM »
Prussian blue is not a good idea.  Use lipstick, soot, dry erase marker, inletting black, etc......

Bill

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 02:38:44 AM »
Won't argue with that Mark, each to his own I guess. I just followed the advice of a few of these builders when I started building and now it is habit. A good one I think. Thanks, Bob

mbokie5

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 02:39:45 AM »
So clearly, there are two schools of thought.

And I don't know enough to embrace either.

For the sake of my education in this endeavour, I believe I'll take it out.

But I hope all the folks of the opposite opinion, do not think I'm ignoring them or casting aside their advice.

I want to learn as much as I can. The Jim Chambers video says to take it out. So for at least this build, I believe I will.

Now all of you guys keep giving all your advice, both pros and cons. My build has begun and I've lost my tenderness to criticism.  :)

I welcome all criticism. That's what learning is all about. I'll fall, for sure. but I'll get back up.

mbokie5

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 02:40:36 AM »
Prussian blue is not a good idea.  Use lipstick, soot, dry erase marker, inletting black, etc......

Bill

Bill

Why is it a bad idea?

billd

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 02:46:36 AM »
It's too sloppy and permanent, will dye the wood.  Try to use something won't penetrate the wood, you can wash off or a color that won't contrast with the stain color of the final product.  Oil based products with prevent some stains from penetrating the wood.

mbokie5

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 02:55:20 AM »
It's too sloppy and permanent, will dye the wood.  Try to use something won't penetrate the wood, you can wash off or a color that won't contrast with the stain color of the final product.  Oil based products with prevent some stains from penetrating the wood.

Well, staining the wood is not at all acceptable.

I'll have to send off for some inlet black. Temporary setback. Maybe if I get too antsy to wait, I'll use a candle or my lamp.

But I'm very glad to get that info. :)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 03:16:11 AM »
I've inlet a barrel without un-breeching the barrel first.  It was the one and only time I have done it.  When I did pull the breech plug to install my vent liner I found out it was not breeched to my satisfaction.   Never happen again.  It's too easy to pull and check.  Kind of like measuring twice.

I always pull the plug before installing my vent liner anyway.  If the drill bit happens to hit the face of the plug you could easily end up with an egg shaped hole.  Sure you can measure to check clearance but I am 100% positive I'm not going to hit the breech plug if it's out.  I also like to look and feel to see if the vent liner protrudes into the barrel.  If anything is sticking out you can carefully file out any burrs and smooth things out.  I don't want any stuck jags.  

My suggestion is to pull the breech plug before you start and check everything.  Inlet the barrel, reinstall the breech plug and inlet the tang and breech bolster with it all together.   You'll see on many things there isn't right or wrong only different ways to get the job done.  Mostly based on the tools you have and things you have experienced.  

I use inletting black and or permenant black magic marker for inletting barrels.  One of the big fat magic markers works best.  .  
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 03:17:21 AM by Ken G »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 03:27:52 AM »
So the black ink from the marker comes off in the inlet, does it Ken?  I've always used Jarrow's inletting black, but it's messy.  I like the idea of using a magnum felt pen.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 05:35:01 AM »
Yes, I tried using a dry erase type but it came off too easy and seemed to spread on its own like inletting black does.  Then I tried the permenant type at the advise of someone on this board.  Sorry, I don't remember who to give the credit to?  That worked great for me and I have been using it for years now.  Easy to apply with that monster wide tip and not near as messy as inletting black.  
Cheers,
Ken
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 05:35:49 AM by Ken G »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.