Author Topic: Joel Ferree's powder horn  (Read 3277 times)

Offline DaveM

Joel Ferree's powder horn
« on: November 11, 2008, 04:34:18 AM »
Check out this fascinating article describing Joel Ferree's powder horn.  This is an original article that was posted in a Lancaster PA newspaper in 1865 that I came across.  Note that for those of you not familiar with Lancaster County, East Lampeter Township is in Lancaster County.  I assume that this horn is currently unknown??

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z228/DaveM_bucket/JoelFerreepowderhornrelic.png

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Re: Joel Ferree's powder horn
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 05:46:36 AM »
Wow!, A ten pound turnip!

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline LynnC

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 05:56:39 AM »
What, no daguerreotype? :o  Not even a wood cut for such an interesting horn! ;D

Well an interesting read - Perhaps the horn still exists somewhere today...........Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 06:10:30 AM »
Despite Dick's exictement over the ten pound turnip (must be a health nut), the early powder horn reference has tremendous interest to horn collectors. It's rare to find such a reference, and the lucky person who owns the horn, or who eventually identifies and acquires it, will have a much more historically connected, and valuable, piece of history. I've seen two somewhat similar references to specific powder horns, both written in the nineteenth centrey and describing Tansel horns, that add a great interest to those horns, if they can be found. In the Tansel case, I think one horn resides in the Ohio State Historical Society since it closely matches the description by its original owner, including a length verse, while the other might be one I acquired from Bill Guthman years ago. We all talk about "if only they could talk" and every once in awhile a reference such as this one just posted appears, and the object can actually speak to us. It's hard to ask much more of our collected heirlooms than the gift of identity.   Shelby Gallien