Author Topic: Amoskeag Auction  (Read 3911 times)

GrampaJack

Amoskeag Auction
« on: September 14, 2011, 02:47:35 AM »
Any of you fellas ever done an absentee bid with these folks? In the September sale they have one I would very much like to have but,no way am I going to be able to make the trip from Ohio to NH just to see one gun. I've never done an absentee bid and I'm not sure I want to get that kind of thing started. Just wondering what others have experienced. The one I'm looking at is No. 337 a Sam Small rifle. I have the sister to that gun and it would be neat to have another. Thanks, Jack

http://www.amoskeagauction.com/85/auction85_9.html

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Re: Amoskeag Auction
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 06:01:00 AM »
Grandpa Jack, from experience, I would recommend you contact them by phone, and set up to phone bid.  It allows you to bid live at the auction, and gives you a much better chance at getting what you are going after.  Auction estimates are generally close, but if a couple people want an item you could lose it with an absentee bid.  These auctions go pretty fast, and what they will do is call you two or three items before yours is up.  I generally tell the phone bidder a number they can bid to before they need to ask me for a bid or no bid.  The last gun I purchased, I gave the bidder a $3,00 limit to free bid.  When it reached that number I gave the ok to go over, and I won on the next bid.  PS they're a very reputable company.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 06:45:58 AM »
I've done absentee bids with them many times as well as having gone to the auction and bid. I regard them as being one of the most reputable firms in the business. Some of their descriptions are a little goofy but that is understandable, no one can know everything so like all auctions you're on your own as to what it is you're bidding on... if you like the gun, they are an honest and reliable company to deal with.

And, if its really important to you, bid by phone. The only caveat is that phone bidders must bid at least the low estimate. I've bought several things for under the low estimate via a written absentee bid or in person.

BGC

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 07:28:18 AM »
I too have had no problems using absentee bidding there.  You also have an option of signing up for Artfact.com (free). Once you've signed up, you can then view the auction from your computer with live bidding. That way you can see what the item is going for and you can hit the bid button to counter-bid. Down side is that you usually have to settle for the next asking price using the increment table established by the auction company. For example, if the next increment is $10 and you only want to bid an extra $5.00; you have to bid the $10.00.

GrampaJack

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 05:14:15 PM »
Appreciate the information. I think I will give them a call early next week and see if I can get some better photos. I'm thinking a phone bid might be the best way to go here. Unlike other auctions they don't have the value estimates on the site. That's another thing I need to know. I seriously doubt this is a $5000 gun but they might think so.  If so, some one else will own it. Thanks, Jack

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 06:00:32 PM »
The value estimate is at the bottom of the text on the page for the gun.
In this case, $750/950.

John
John Robbins

GrampaJack

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 11:31:26 PM »
Thanks I missed that. Just about what I would expect. Jack