Author Topic: Carrying patches??  (Read 9612 times)

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Carrying patches??
« on: November 11, 2008, 08:00:52 AM »
 Anybody have any good ideas for carrying patches  when in a shoot?   They need to be handy and ready fast. 
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Paddlefoot

Re: Carrying patches??
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 08:20:43 AM »
I always pre-cut mine using a gasket punch. Saturate them with your lube of choice then put as many as you think you are going to need into an inside pocket of my hunting pouch. If I have too many for that I usually use a 35mm film canister but an Altoids tin works pretty well too.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Leatherbelly

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 08:34:40 AM »
 Jerry,
   Track sells a hinged patch box that's nickel plated brass by Ted cash. Quite nice.I just buy those tin boxes with mints in them and blacken the tin on the electric stove. Get the mint boxes that are hinged. I put some small pieces of patch material in mine when I "blackened" it and got a unique pattern burnt into the metal. I precut my patches so these 2 1/2"X3 1/2"X 3/4" tins are perfect for about 80-100 precuts.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 08:42:21 AM by Leatherbelly »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:21:31 AM »
Jerry,
   Track sells a hinged patch box that's nickel plated brass by Ted cash. Quite nice.I just buy those tin boxes with mints in them and blacken the tin on the electric stove. Get the mint boxes that are hinged. I put some small pieces of patch material in mine when I "blackened" it and got a unique pattern burnt into the metal. I precut my patches so these 2 1/2"X3 1/2"X 3/4" tins are perfect for about 80-100 precuts.

Sucretes used to come in a steel box. Burn off the paint and its good to go.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Online Eric Laird

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 04:37:53 PM »
Normally, I just tie a strip of patching material (already lubed, of course) to the bag strap with a length of wang and then just load and cut at the muzzle. I find this a lot quicker than digging for a precut and it's easy to carry enough for 20-30 shots. If you need more shots, just carry another strip rolled up in your bag - I can attach it in about the same amount of time it takes me to dig out a precut. This doesn't work well for hunting (I use a simple bullet board - don't expect many fast repeat shots so I only carry a small board for two rounds and can replenish as needed from the pouch), but for line shoots/woods walks I find this works best for me.
Eric
Eric Laird

Mike R

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 05:06:58 PM »
I carry patches in several ways, but I found that when 'speed reloading' is needed it is best to carry patches and balls separate from all the other stuff in the pouch--you really just need powder, patch and ball to load--all the other stuff is for other stuff.  I started wearing a small belt pouch with just loose ball and lubed patches [or dry if using spit]. Don't have to search around with the fingers in a pouch crowded with other stuff.  The other way is to have a strip of patching tied to your bag strap and cut at the muzzle.  The slowest way to reload is to have all your stuff in separate containers/bags that you have to dig through--for example, I often carry ball in a separate ball bag within my pouch and lubed patches in a little tin--but not when follow up shots are needed quickly.

billd

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 05:31:40 PM »
Those little plastic canisters with snap lids that disposible ear plugs come in work great.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 05:45:54 PM »
I usually am walking in to a $#*! of a head wind or swimming up stream; but I do it (the patch thing) this away:  Line shoots I simply have the strip cut patching folded neatly ::) in corner of the shooting box and spit then cut at muzzle...

W/walks and such shooting I carry a 2 ft or so long cut patching strip tucked under my belt- spit - cut at muzzle and repeat as needed.  Easy and simple which for me is a must ;D

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 05:56:01 PM »
I use ball blocks and carry one with it attached to the outside of my shooting
bag, on the strap.  I carry extras in my bag for a quick change.

This works pretty darn good for me and eliminates the worry/inconvience of the
ball & lubed patch being separate from one another.  The lubed patch and ball comes right out of the block and is ready for the bore once I've fed the powder
charge.

I bet there's lots here who use the same method? :)

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 06:42:56 PM »
I use ball blocks and carry one with it attached to the outside of my shooting
bag, on the strap.  I carry extras in my bag for a quick change.

This works pretty darn good for me and eliminates the worry/inconvience of the
ball & lubed patch being separate from one another.  The lubed patch and ball comes right out of the block and is ready for the bore once I've fed the powder
charge.

I bet there's lots here who use the same method? :)
I use a 5 holer ball block w/bear greased patched balls when hunting!  Here lately its 'hunting' but no shooting :-[

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 07:03:24 PM »
Taylor and I use the method LB mentioned.  I like the 'silver' nickel boxes from Track as they don't tarnish and grow green verdigras.  The brass coloured ones boxes work well and look good quickly, only grow green.  The rectangular box with the hind just in from the end is my favourite.  Patches stay wet with LHV for several weeks in it, whereas the one hinded on the end will dry patches in only a few days, about like the blackened sucrets, etc. boxes. Track's boxes that we use are listed as tinder boxes. The model 1790 is the one I like. They are listed on-line under Accessories, "Tins, boxes, cases" - the last one of the list- tinder boxes.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 07:07:54 PM by Daryl »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 07:42:52 PM »
I guess nobody uses the old fashioned way.  Take a pile of pre-lubed patches and run a needle thru them with a piece of waxed linen thread.  Tie a single knot in the thread and tie the other end wherever it's convenient to grab.  Spread the patches out a bit so they ain't all bunched up together.  When you need one, just grab the bottom one and pull it over the knot.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 08:43:53 PM »
Lots of good ideas . Thanks for the info yall.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

robert gene

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 03:03:44 AM »
I've heard that the old timers would sew or tye a patch around the ball at home. Then seat it and cut the tag end off when needed.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 03:27:40 AM »
Mine's similar to the thread method. I just impale a stack of several pre-lubed patches on my vent pick and hang it from the bag strap. Easy to slip off one at a time. Can't remember who showed me this one, I've been doing it so long.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

BuffaloGun

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 10:39:46 AM »
I also tie a strip of lubed patch cloth to my bag strap and tuck it into the bag till needed. After a ball is started I use the patch knife that also rides on the bag strap.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 10:40:19 AM by BuffaloGun »

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 08:18:51 AM »
Anybody have any good ideas for carrying patches  when in a shoot?   They need to be handy and ready fast. 

Jerry, I precut mine square and to a generous size so as not to be overly worried about centering the patch on the muzzle.  I use either double compartment bags or a bag with an inner pocket.  Shooting patches get pushed to one side and the wiping patches to the other.  Liquid lube in a small squeeze bottle dropped in the bottom of the bag along with balls and a few tools.  Short starter gets pushed down along the side of the main pocket.  Powder measure and leather capper around the neck.

It's simple to reach into the bag and grab a single ball patch, then pull out the lube bottle to give it five or seven drops of lube then pull out a ball and starter at the same time put the ball and patch on top of the muzzle and start it with one smack of the long arm of the starter.  The ball is rammed home with either a range rod or the rifles rod.  I only wipe if the gun won't be reloaded for 10 minutes or more such as during a relay break so one only needs one wiping patch for every five or so shooting patches.
Mike Lee

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 01:37:01 AM »
UhOh Longcruise, I thik you dryballed. ;)
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 04:06:04 AM »
UhOh Longcruise, I thik you dryballed. ;)

I did!!

Hope nobody follows that regimen exactly.
Mike Lee