Author Topic: Lathe mandrels  (Read 6490 times)

Thom

Lathe mandrels
« on: September 15, 2011, 04:58:54 AM »
I have really looked for answers to this question , as I don't like to ask redundant or elementary questions, but. What can I use for a lathe mandrel for small things like powder horn tips etc.. I have a Craftsman wood lathe from the 60's, and a Delta screwcutting lathe from the 40's (it runs, but I've never learned how to use it).
 Okay, I just did a goggle search and looked at images. Maybe I just don't understand how they work.

Thanks, Thom

Offline The Original Griz

Re: Lathe mandrels
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 12:23:35 PM »
like this?
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19578&filter=pen%20mandrel
I use one, I drill the horn and slid it over the shaft of the mandrel and the brass screw turns down to hold it tight so the horn can be turned.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 12:26:35 PM by Griz »
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Online Habu

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 04:19:26 PM »
Or you can do it poor-boy fashion and turn a wood mandrel.  Turn a spindle that is say, 1" in diameter.  Measure the length of your horn tip (let's say it is 3" long).  Reduce a 3" section of the wood spindle to the diameter of the hole you've drilled through the horn tip (1/4" for instance), then lightly sand it to reduce the diameter just ever-so-slightly.  Mark your spindle and the lathe center so you can return it to the same position, then remove it from the lathe. 

Saw through the center of the 1/4" diameter, and shorten one side by 1/4" or so.  Insert both ends of the spindle into your horn tip, and return it to the lathe.  the horn tip will be held by compression from the ends, and the spindle will keep it centered.  You may have to dink around a bit to get it turning true, but once you have it you can begin turning the horn. 

You could do something similar by attaching the spindle to a wood block mounted on a faceplate.  It is a little easier to set up (there's less of the feeling that you need another hand to get it all set up) but either way will work. 

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 05:03:01 PM »
like this?
I use one, I drill the horn and slid it over the shaft of the mandrel and the brass screw turns down to hold it tight so the horn can be turned.

I'm with Griz, here's one in use.

Tim C.

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 05:51:20 PM »
like this?

I'm with Griz, here's one in use.

Tim C.

Ah Tim, I now see what those copper things are, that's good thinking. I used brass and tapered them down to nothing on the ends to do the same thing.. great minds think alike ;D
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

omark

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 09:52:30 PM »
might consider using some all-thread and nuts. i have also been known to leave the tap i use on threaded tips in the tip and chuck it in the lathe.    :)    mark

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 11:21:47 PM »
  As a side, I would be hesitant to use a tap with a piece of horn or antler threaded on it in a lathe. Since they are hardened and tempered they have a tendency to snap off if a snag is hit. Snapped tap, ruined piece, not to mention a two part piece of shrapnel bouncing around looking for something soft to hit.
  I find it better to take a bolt of appropriate size, cut the head off, screw into the piece and put that in a chuck. Obviously not a hardened bolt.

Tim C.

Thom

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 02:24:18 AM »
Thanks Guy's. Starting to get it. I'm slow sometimes. I guess it would be easier with the metal lathe, although I could make something work on the wood lathe.

Thom

Offline James

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 02:26:31 AM »
I also want to say thanks. Not my post, but a subject I have been puzzling over for several weeks. Thank you, Jim.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 03:19:15 PM »
I guess it would be easier with the metal lathe, although I could make something work on the wood lathe.

Thom

Just curious, what would be easier?

Thanks, Tim C.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 06:34:13 AM »
F.W.I.W.  Art DeCamp uses the tap left in the tip to turn the tips.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 06:37:24 AM »
Since I took Art;s screw tip class last month, I have tried that on a couple of projects, and I find that the tap works great.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 07:29:25 AM »
Great to see you here John. Don't be a stranger.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 07:11:04 PM »
 What Steve said.

Tim C.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 12:18:59 PM »
BigSmoke,

Pleased to see you here!

Best regards,
Albert “The Afghan” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Feral Bull Fighting: Another Chronicles Adventure!
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!