Author Topic: Bying black powder  (Read 10086 times)

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
Bying black powder
« on: September 15, 2011, 09:24:24 PM »
Being Canadian and finding black powder around here is getting harder, I was thinking of buying some in the states. I was told that it would be impossible to cross.
Comments from Canadians buying from the states would be appreciated.
Denis

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Bying black powder
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 01:20:44 AM »
Frenchman,
With the information that Roundball has supplied, you might contact one of the distributors and ask what dealers they are supplying near you.
Mark
Mark

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 03:54:57 AM »
thank you
 thank you
   thankyou ;D
Denis

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 05:21:02 PM »
Ordering is not the problem - shipping is. Good luck. The shipment of "Dangerous Goods" is tightly controlled and only one 'shipper' has Federal licence to do so as far as I know. That shipper being "Purolator".  To ship black powder, I understand that the truck must have "CLASS A EXPLOSIVES" signs all around it and only have the black powder inside the truck - no other "goods".  If this is so, shipping costs become VERY expensive as you must pay for the truck and driver as well on top of the charge for the powder.

Best scenario is to plan a drive to the closest distributor or ask at the local gun club about anyone travelling there to bring some for you (if they will).

Here, we buy at Rendezvous or if we aren't going, to have someone going to Rendezvous pick up powder for us.

Please do not turn this into a political thread - it will be deleted if that happens.

We are looking for suggestions to help frenchman.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 08:56:13 PM »
A bunch of us pool our order, then pay the gas for one to drive and pick it up. Usually a case or two.
As far as we know, you can have up to 50 # without a license, so 2 cases is not a problem. And..they'll let you mix types too, so we get a can or two of 4F as part of the case lot. I usually buy a case for myself, since it's easy to go through 10 #s in my Sharps alone in a few weekends of long range target shooting.
Another benefit of buying in qty, is that you will get all the same case lot,  which can make a difference on the range.  :)  If you can't get to a main dealer, then it is still worth pooling your order and asking for a better deal from the local distributor. Shipping costs hurt them too, so adding an extra case or two to their order is often a good deal for them too. If they know it won't sit on their shelf forever, and they can make some money, everyone wins.

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 10:44:21 PM »
75 pounds BP in your house - according to my brother who checked it out - apparently.  That is up from the 25 pounds that was law some time ago.

75 pounds is more than I will store in my house - by a long shot.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 11:14:11 PM »
A friend from Ontario took an extended vacation to the lower 48 last year.  He purchased powder from a supplier in Illinois on his return home.  He never mentioned any problems going thru customs and arrived home without being arrested.  FWIW, if anything.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 12:39:59 AM »
yes my question was concerning customs and crossing it,
 i would drive to pick it up .Sametime make a nice weekend with the wife in the states do some shopping.
I shoot about a pound i week for now. Just would be sad to have it seized.
Denis

joe d

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 03:59:58 AM »
According to the link below, you can bring in to Canada up to 8 kilos of
black powder with out requiring a permit.  They don't mention how many times you can do this....

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5044-eng.html#P012

cheers, Joe

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 04:22:04 AM »
this is so great thank you so much,
 very soon will be taking a trip
at $ 15 a pound i think that is good
Denis

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 04:27:11 AM »
Frenchman,
What province do you live in?  I am told that certain points of entry are less of a hassle than others.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 05:07:30 AM »
 Province of Quebec  around Sherbrooke
 and yes there places where it's much easier to go by
Denis

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 05:10:34 AM »
calls are going out in the states ,
 than will be calling in Ontario see what is the price
 things are coming along just fine with all the info from you guy's should be able to find some at a reasonable price
Denis

billd

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 05:17:24 AM »
Just throwing something out here before you make the drive.  When you buy BP in bulk here in the states you fill out a form stating it will be used for "sporting purposes", at least that's what I put down.  I had to show ID, a drivers license for example, here in PA.  Is here any law prohibiting sales to non-US citizens? 

Bill

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 05:39:08 AM »
Frenchman, like on another thread where we talked about mailing stuff, it would be good to copy, and carry those regulations with you, so there is no problem on either side of the border, as you may run into a newbie, who is not aware of the rules.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 05:49:54 AM »
Frenchman, I would give the Border ( the one you plan to use) a call to check before you cross and purchase anything. And if they say you can, I would ask for the shift supervisor to give you a document with the process and or costs outlined. I may be wrong, but BP is not considered "ammunition" but an explosive as far as some of the regulatory types would think. I have had people with an importing licence ( licenced firearms dealers) fail when attempting to import for me. More than once. I had a friend that came close but it ( the powder) was identified as a "propellant" , not as an explosive. Also the costs (brokerage/duties) were prohibitive. The Canadian distributors/dealers that do spend the money to keep it on hand deserve our buisiness IMHO and I will pay a slightly higher rate (23$ for 1# tin or 20$# for bulk) to keep them in buisiness and myself shooting.....  just my 2c.........    Kerry

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 05:51:37 AM »
it would be good to copy, and carry those regulations with you
Bill,  I think we were typing at the same time...  :) Kerry

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 03:36:18 PM »
at $ 20 dollars if i could find it i would be tickle pink.
If you can find it here we are talking over $30 but i am not rushing for now i still have work to do and places to call i would prefer to encourage the dealers around here, but it's turning out has a joke .That's why i am branching out at other places or for ideas. For now i will overlapped powders 15 gr of fff with triple 7 or pyrodex and maybe some pionner that type of powder i can get my hands on. it's better than nothing.
Denis

Harnic

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 05:58:30 PM »
If BP continues to be hard to acquire in Canada & expensive when available, I'll be converting my rifle to percussion & shooting Pyrodex, it's already cheaper than bp around these parts by a fair margin.  Making your own is another option, but the tariff if caught is pretty stiff.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 06:00:20 PM by Harnic »

camerl2009

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 10:54:47 PM »
According to the link below, you can bring in to Canada up to 8 kilos of
black powder with out requiring a permit.  They don't mention how many times you can do this....

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5044-eng.html#P012

cheers, Joe

yes you can bring it into canada but you can bring it out of the US with out a export permit

oh and in canada you cant buy more then 15lb at a time with out a explosives license so pooling will do nothing
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:58:48 PM by camerl2009 »

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 12:05:43 AM »
I'm not sure where you got that 15# limit?????  I buy it by the case all the time. Are you sure someone's not making up their own rules again?  I've found that when it come to firearms etc, most "officials" don't know a rock from an banjo.

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 12:38:52 AM »
Roundball , i will try your recipe soon, like it or not we need to be adaptable to changing situation. If i could pick up like 5 lbs of 3f this should last for a while. Pyrodex RS is $20 around here you need to go pick it up or they'll charge you $ 12 a pound for shipping.
This could make an interesting thread about Layered Loads
send out your  layereds loads, would be interesting read for sure. We do try just about anything for lube. So what say ye.
Denis

camerl2009

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 12:53:05 AM »
I'm not sure where you got that 15# limit?????  I buy it by the case all the time. Are you sure someone's not making up their own rules again?  I've found that when it come to firearms etc, most "officials" don't know a rock from an banjo.

idk but from what ive seen its a 15lb limit could be some "offcial" making rules again

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 03:46:44 AM »
to Bob in the woods,
i printed part of what the Canada Border Services publication

small-arms, sporting ammunition, up to a maximum of 5,000 rounds;
• primers, up to a quantity of 5,000;
• empty primed cartridge cases, up to a quantity of 5,000; and
• propellants, smokeless powder in containers not exceeding 4 kilograms and black powder in containers not exceeding 500 grams, up to a maximum total combined quantity of 8 kilograms, (17.66 pounds).
Denis

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 04:12:47 AM »
That would be  with regard to cross  border transportation , then.   Not applicable to purchase in Canada for use here.  Personally, I would rather shoot a smaller bore for target use, then duplex pyrodex, butthat's just me. Most of my target shooting these days is with my .40